Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Moisture Control

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_ananya_*

Guest_ananya_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 13 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

I am doing a project in moisture control of benomyl fungicide powder. Dry solid benomyl fungicide is powdered in Jet mill where highiy compressed air from a compressor is sent to jet mill. Below is the process flow. Feed- pre blender-dump tank- jet mill-cyclone seperater-post blender- powdered product. The bottom product of the cyclone seperater which has some ungrinded particles goes to post blender and top product which is of fine powder with air is sent through air filter bags, powder is retained in filter and sent to packing. powder is very fine as it ground by jet mill than than other mehods of grinding. The main problem is the moisture content of the powder as it is powdered by air 0.5% where the permissible limit is 0.25%.Due to 0.5% moisture content the life time of powder is reduced from 3 years to 1 year.I suggested the company to use drying of product but they said that cost of drier is high and it is not advisible to dry using drier. can the inlet air through the air compressor be made dry or is there any other way to control the moisture content. Please help me.Attached File  JET_MILL.doc   30KB   68 downloads

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 15 March 2006 - 07:12 AM

Ananya:

You probably are not getting any response to what is a probing and interesting real-life type of problem because your schematic flow diagram isn’t that easy to grasp. I believe I have a better version and I am attaching it to show how a flow can be depicted in a simpler fashion, making it easier to understand and grasp the scope of what is being done. Note that all flows originate from the left and exit to the right of the sketch. Also note that utility fluids – such as your compressors’ cooling water - are kept out because they play no important part in the over-all process. It is important to show all fluids that enter the over-all process. You failed to note where the air is introduced. It is important to note that you are using atmospheric air to introduce into the process as a pneumatic medium.

Note how easy it is to sketch out a flow diagram in Excel. Engineers should always use a spreadsheet to calculate and to sketch out their ideas. Never employ a Word Processor (like Word for Windows). Word processors are for writers and poets; spreadsheets are for engineers.

You are introducing water moisture into your jet mill (and consequently into your Benomyl product via the compressed air you are using to pneumatically carry the product out. That is why it is so important to note ALL the entering streams as well as all the exiting streams on a PFD (process flow diagram). You should also sketch out the TYPE of air compressor you are using. In my sketch I am assuming you are using a reciprocating type, but it could be a screw type or centrifugal type. Reciprocating and screw types can introduce oil as a serious contaminant and that is why you should indicate the type of compressor. All air compressors employing atmospheric air as a source will produce an air stream at higher pressures that is saturated with water vapor. The water originates from the humidity that is inherently in the atmospheric air. If you are serious about producing a high quality of Benomyl product then the only solution is to dehydrate (“dry”) your compressed air stream. I would employ an adsorption type of dryer – depending on the flow rate and pressure levels of the air employed. I am assuming you are using an air flow in the range of 100 to 200 Scfm at approximately 100 psig. These are basic data that you don’t mention, so I’m not in a position to make further comments.

I hope this information helps you out and points out where your process is flawed and needs improvement to produce a quality product.
Attached File  Moisture_Content_in_Product.xls   33.5KB   113 downloads

#3 Guest_ananya_*

Guest_ananya_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 17 March 2006 - 01:13 AM

Thank you Art Montemayor for your reply. I will use spreadsheet hereafter.

The compressor is reciprocating type.

Air to product ratio in Jet mill is 240 cfm @ 3 Kg/sq.cm of product per minute.

Feed quantity per hour to jet mill - 250 Kgs.

During milling the air pressure in jet mill is 3 Kg/square.cm

i want to know what type of air drier and its details with parameters to dry the compressed air.

i also have a doubt whether the use of drier would reduce the pressure of the outlet air of compressor.

Please answer me.

#4 Guest_ananya_*

Guest_ananya_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 28 March 2006 - 04:41 AM

Can anyone give anyother suggestions

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 28 March 2006 - 07:11 AM

Ananya:

Please refer to the attached revised Workbook and note the detailed flow diagram I’ve sketched out for you.

Now that I know the details of your air feed, I highly recommend you install an adsorption dryer downstream of your air compressors. This type of dryer will dry your pneumatic air down to parts per million (vol.) of water moisture in the pneumatic air. I have used this type of dryer in conjunction with reciprocating compressors and have always had 100% success. I started out by installing purchased units from manufacturers and later designed, installed, and operated my own units in the field. I’ve used them on air, CO2, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, Nitrous Oxide, Methane, and other gases.

You are wrong to expect a large pressure drop from such a dryer. I would estimate that I can design such a dryer to consume only 1 to 5 psig of pressure – depending on the type of regeneration cycle chosen. You will never notice the pressure drop in your process particularly with the type of compressors being used. This dryer will also remove any oil contamination that always is present in oil-lubricated reciprocating compressors. This is a very important additional feature when you are producing high-purity, small volume of fine chemicals as I suspect you are doing.

The adsorption type of dryer can be manually operated or fully instrumented for automatic service and it can be designed on various types of regeneration and cycle methods – all depending on your needs and availability of waste heat or other sources of heat, like steam. You can find out about this type of drying system in the InterNet or in text books. Some adsorbents produce fine dust with continual, cyclic use and it is always wise to install an efficient filter downstream of the dryer in order to capture this dust and not contaminate the ultimate use of the air.

I hope this helps you out.

(Note: I've made a revision on the air dryer PFD to show the compressor aftercooler and water separator that is needed prior to the dryer itself.)
Attached File  Moisture_Content_in_Product.xls   56.5KB   109 downloads

#6 Guest_ananya_*

Guest_ananya_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 01:25 PM

There is another doubt. At the nozzle of the jet mill pressurised air expands, JOULES-THOMPSON EFFECT takes place.can this may lead to accumulation of moisture in benomyl powder. If so,how can the moisture be controlled.

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 29 March 2006 - 02:14 PM

If you follow the recommendations I've posted on the application of an adsorption air dryer, you won't have any problem with water vapor condensing within the system due to free expansion cooling (Joule-Thomson Effect). Since there practically will be no water moisture in the air due to the ultra-high removal of water by the dryer, you have no need to be concerned with liquid water formation. This is precisely the main reason for my continuing to make my recommendation. The water can only be introduced by the atmospheric air; remove the water (using an adsorption dryer), and the results will be:

1. No water or oil contamination on the End Product;
2. High Product quality;
3. No process problems due to water formation;
4. Continuous and easy operations of the process.

The best way to "control" the moisture is to eradicate or remove it.

#8 Guest_ananya_*

Guest_ananya_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 29 March 2006 - 11:57 PM

Thank you Art Montemayor . the dryer will solve the problem.

#9 Guest_Guest_Ravi_*_*

Guest_Guest_Ravi_*_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 01 April 2006 - 03:03 AM

You can acheive -40 deg.C ADP with a alumina dryer and this suits the jet milling application. the main problem with jet mills is the back pressure on the mill. As the filter bags clog, you will find it difficult to push the material through the screw feeder. You should have a good exhaust and you are done.