Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Cooling Tower Performance

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Black Horse

Black Horse

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 22 March 2006 - 01:47 PM

Dear All

Ii need some information about cooling tower performance check, using performance curve, calculation of cooling tower efficiency.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks,
sami

#2 Guest_Saiful Bahri_*

Guest_Saiful Bahri_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 22 March 2006 - 09:03 PM

in cooling tower you should know about range and approach you can calculate range and approach you can use the following equation :

Range = Hot water Temperatur Inlet - Cold water temperature outlet
Approach = cold water temperature outlet - ambient air wet bulb temperature

to calaculate Cooling Tower eficiency you can use this equation:

Efficiency = Range / (hot water temperature inlet - ambient air wet bulb temperature)

I use this equation to measure the efficiency because it`s like a comparison between actual cooling tower achievement and theoritical cooling tower achievement, because the ambient air wet bulb temperature is a theoritical temperature that can be reached by cooling tower.

I`ve ever a research about cooling tower & I have a software to analyze the performance, size, and correlation beetween parameter that is used to build a cooling tower, but my software can be used to analyze and build Induced Draught Cooling tower only.

or we can discuss in my company e-mail : saiful@ptsi.co.id

QUOTE (Black Horse @ Mar 22 2006, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear All

Ii need some information about cooling tower performance check, using performance curve, calculation of cooling tower efficiency.

Thanks,
sami

#3 THCooke

THCooke

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 26 March 2006 - 11:14 AM

I think the Marley Cooling Tower site has some good information...at least it did at one time.

#4 Bhavin Jambucha

Bhavin Jambucha

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 04:24 AM

I am still confused... let me state my stand.

If we have to calculate the efficiency of a CT, considering the following equation

Range = Hot water Temperatur Inlet - Cold water temperature outlet
Approach = cold water temperature outlet - ambient air wet bulb temperature
Efficiency = Range / (hot water temperature inlet - ambient air wet bulb temperature)

i.e Efficiency(in %) = Range * 100 / (Range + Approach)

Then, where are the other parameters gone.

I mean the performance of a CT depends on so many other parameters like:
1) Flow rate for water in
2) Air flow in
3) The temperature level
4) Performance co-efficient of the packing to be used
5) Volume of packing
6) Type of water distribution
7) Type of cooling tower
8) Fan velocity, power

etc..
according to me some of these parameters has to be there in calculating the efficiency of CT.

Please can someone help me with this confusion.

Bhavin Jambucha
Engineer

#5 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 05:30 AM

Bhavin,

Basically, your 8 factors are what determine the appraoch that you can achieve. So you are correct that they all have an impact on the CT efficiency, but the measure of efficiency the way you have stated it is a good overall indicator of how well the tower is performing.

#6 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:14 AM

Dear Just check some useful information here,
http://www.advantage...ntageFYI273.pdf
http://www.wapa.gov/...brf/cooling.htm

#7 Qalander (Chem)

Qalander (Chem)

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 829 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (Padmakar S Katre @ Jun 19 2008, 08:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Dear Sami,
May I humbally suggest that somehow the Most critical issue is the packing surface area and capability to provide fastest possible air induced evaporative cooling and minimum clogging.
These properties are very important for sustained efficient operation with minimum downtimes.
Best Regards
Qalander

#8 Jiten_process

Jiten_process

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 183 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 11:10 PM

QUOTE (Black Horse @ Mar 22 2006, 01:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dear All

Thanks,
sami

First plz make it clear. I am assuming that you are talking about performance evaluation of existsting cooling tower which is already in operation, right?

I would suggest there is one monograph available (GPSA Engineering data book, Vol. 1) where you can check your performance evaluation on already designed cooling tower with varying parameter. For example if your cooling tower designed on basis of some wet bulb temp., inlet water temp. and some specific flowrate and if these condition changes then what will be the effect on performance.

As far as efficiency concern, you may have the online temp. of inlet and outlet, find out actual wet bulb related to your site and calculate the efficiency as described above. It is that simple, i fill!

If you really fascinated to learn the designing of induced draft cooling tower, i have some doc. you may also see this online

http://profmaster.bl...culation-i.html

Hope above may turnout to be useful.
to be continued...

#9 Bhavin Jambucha

Bhavin Jambucha

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 24 June 2008 - 05:08 AM

QUOTE (Jiten_process @ Jun 20 2008, 09:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
First plz make it clear. I am assuming that you are talking about performance evaluation of existsting cooling tower which is already in operation, right?

I would suggest there is one monograph available (GPSA Engineering data book, Vol. 1) where you can check your performance evaluation on already designed cooling tower with varying parameter. For example if your cooling tower designed on basis of some wet bulb temp., inlet water temp. and some specific flowrate and if these condition changes then what will be the effect on performance.

As far as efficiency concern, you may have the online temp. of inlet and outlet, find out actual wet bulb related to your site and calculate the efficiency as described above. It is that simple, i fill!

If you really fascinated to learn the designing of induced draft cooling tower, i have some doc. you may also see this online

http://profmaster.bl...culation-i.html

Hope above may turnout to be useful.
to be continued...

Thanks a lot bro,
this really helped me out with my cofusion.

Bhavin