Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Latex Filtration

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
13 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:25 AM

Dear all(Ltexman, Breizh, ...)

We intend to pump a 40m3/h of Latex (XSBR) with viscosity of 300 mP.s from a tank , but in order to separate somehow the large latex particles , we intend to install a Filter just upstream of Pump.
I really dont have any criteria to design the pertinent filter (type, data , etc.).
I wonder if anybody can help me in this regard.

Edited by process-man, 23 June 2014 - 01:29 AM.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:38 AM

Consider to use sieve shaker to remove coagulum  !

Google sweco to get an idea

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 23 June 2014 - 01:38 AM.

#3 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 01:58 AM

Breizh thank you , and I will follow up the compnay name you addressed. Anyhow , Could you please let me know the mesh size of such a filter?

#4 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 04:33 AM

The mesh size depends on the filterable solids specification of your latex product.  Give your spec. to Sweco and they will make a recommendation.  Or let us know what it is and we can comment.

#5 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 05:44 AM

Latexman

In fact , carboxylated SBR is being produced in reactor and at the end of each batch , it is pumped to stripping tank. So I don't have any idea of coagulum size, but maybe a filter with mesh of 40 will be suitable.Any comment?

Edited by process-man, 23 June 2014 - 05:46 AM.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 07:17 AM

Process man ,

If I remember well , we had a specification at 45 microns about 100 or 200 ppm during QC test . Strange to me that your product after stripping is not passing through any filter !

Good luck

Breizh

#7 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 11:59 PM

Breizh the plant is now under construction and we also have filter after latex stripping.Anyhow you believe that the coagulum will have a min size of 45 micron. Is it OK to design simple filter with stainless steel media of 45 micron for both reactor and stripper outlet?

#8 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 01:54 AM

No , your baskets will be full of coagulum !!! This filtration step is necessary before sending the product to storage tanks of finished goods or day tank for adjustment .

Notes :  How can you manufacture a product without knowing the specifications ?

the quantity of coagulum is within this range ( 0.2 -0.5 kg / metric ton latex) !

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 24 June 2014 - 06:06 PM.

#9 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:25 AM

Breizh So, How can I pump the latex from reactor to stripper and from there to daily storage tank. If I eliminate a/m filters, there will be problem with pumps!

#10 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 02:43 AM

Hi,

1.  My experience is that the transfer from reactor to stripper is done by live steam !
  2. from bottom stripper to shaker filter by gravity ( to remove the coagulum)
  3. from filter to storage /day tank by air diaphragm pump
  4. from storage tank to bulk or IBC by air diaphragm pump , with sufficient number of filters in // ( equipped with socks)

Typical equipment for coagulum removal.

http://canaley.com/w.../SwecoRound.pdf

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 24 June 2014 - 07:25 PM.

#11 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 05:59 AM

Breizh

As usual , you gave us valuable information out of your Library, and so thank you very much. I also need to buy some instruments for our Reacotr control , and I wonder if you could inform me of any pertinent type , vendor , if any:
-flow measurement for pre-emulsion mixture upstream of reactor
-flow measurement for XSBR latex
-level measurement for XSBR reactor
As you know , due to the physical properties of XSBR latex (adherence and gluey) , we may not be able to use typical flow and level type.

Edited by process-man, 25 June 2014 - 06:09 AM.

#12 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,355 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:39 AM

Process-man

For the reasons you mention , I will use load cells to follow the quantity of materials introduced to avoid trouble  and mass flow meters . I like very much E&H type promass (straight tube) .

For clarity , are you a student ? I cannot believe that student are tasked to design this kind of process.

Notes : Safety is very key in such process and latex can create mask in front of your safety devices like PSV and RD .This statement is based on experience . Other big issue , the introduction of Butadiene and risk of leak during reaction >>> highly flammable

Good luck.

Latexman and others may comment .

Breizh

#13 process-man

process-man

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 48 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 06:51 AM

Breizh

I'm not a student and unfortunately I started such a discussion in Student Forum. Really forgive me. I will restart further similar discussions in the Industrial forum later on.
Anyhow , you are right and we internally did the HAZOP study over the plant prior to installation and in particular we paid more attention to the mechanical seals from the viewpoint of Butadiene flammability issues.

Edited by process-man, 25 June 2014 - 06:54 AM.

#14 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,692 posts

Posted 25 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

XSBR is out of my comfort zone, so I will read and learn.