Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Distillation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 anjum.shah

anjum.shah

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 06:19 AM

Hi everone,

I have a rather simple question but being non-familiar to the distillation it is difficult one for me. We recently sent some liquid sample which we though is some sort of oil to conduct distillation, which was done by ASTM D86. Now they have deliver the results which are in the form of temperatures, initial and final boiling points and recovery. Temperature is in between 188 to 318 C. I dont know what they means by 10% recovered and corresponding temperature which is 188 and 95% recovered and 3018 temperature. We just wanted to know which type of oil is this. You can send details on anjumbukhari@gmail.com.

Regards

#2 Ali_gholamalian

Ali_gholamalian

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 42 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 09:30 AM

Dear friend
First you must read ASTM D86. After that you must read about TBP (true boiling point) data
Your sample is like middle distillate

#3 P.K.Rao

P.K.Rao

Gold Member

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 11 March 2015 - 10:26 AM

The oil is a mixture containing components which have boiling points from 188 to 318 degrees Celsius. IBP means Initial Boiling Point. FBP Means Final Boiling Point. The distillation temperatures are observed at 10% intervals.  10%  recovered at means the temperature at which 10% of the liquid taken for distillation has distilled at that temperature. Similarly others.

Nature of the liquid can not be said just by distillation test. Many other tests have to be conducted.  Prima Facie, it appears to be some contaminated kerosene.