Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Aspen Plus Output Results Between Iterations

aspen aspen plus iteration fortran excel results output dynamic

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Tschannen14

Tschannen14

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2015 - 09:49 PM

I am trying to use Aspen Plus as a pseudo-dynamic simulator.  I am iterating a recycle loop that will never converge a specific number of times.  Each iteration will represent a step in time.  I am using the Direct method for updating Tear Streams.

What I would like to do is output and record specific process variables (vessel temps, stream compositions, heater duties, etc.) during each iteration.  That way I can track my variables over each iteration.  My initial thought was to try to use a Calculator block to read/write my desired variables to either an Excel file or to a text file via Fortran code.  However, I have not had much luck.  I have managed to track the Tear variables because they can be viewed in the Convergence tab when they don't converge.  I would like to track other variables that I cannot specify as Tear variables/streams.

Does anyone have any insight or advice into this issue?  I would prefer to avoid using Aspen Dynamics if possible, as I am very unfamiliar with it and am much more comfortable with Aspen Plus.  Thanks!  

#2 apwebb

apwebb

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 02:50 PM

This can be done using the ActiveX interface, which is fairly well documented in the help files, with VB code snippets, which should make it a simple matter to import results into Excel. If you would like to use Fortran, you could write a module to grab the results from a summary file and write them to something, and after each iteration export the summary file and run your module. This is also well documented.

http://kitchingroup....pen-via-Python/

This fellow has some examples of porting the ActiveX code to python. In theory it can also be done via matlab, however I was unable to get the COM server to instantiate.