Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Bernoulli And Crude Oil?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 jarod04

jarod04

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 August 2015 - 12:27 PM

Hello,

I have been giving myself headaches over this for a few days, I do not typically work with pumping oil. hopefully someone can guide me here.

I am trying to find the rate of flow I can expect from a drain of a catch basin that would be capturing a crude oil spill. This is for "track" pans that will lie under a railroad track while a tanker-car is being filled with crude oil, the sidewall height of the pan is 5.5". Bernoullis is only valid for inviscid fluids, and crude oil is anything but inviscid.

Track pans for reference: http://www.centurygr...viropan-Systems

How can I modify Q=v*A to determine what my maximum drain rate will be of the crude oil? I am estimating crude with API=47deg.

Also, is it valid to use Darcy Weisbach for headloss through a P-trap of the same crude? (i.e. h=f*(L/D)*v^2/2g)

Edited by jlimke04, 22 August 2015 - 12:49 PM.

#2 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 08 September 2015 - 05:06 PM   Best Answer

Jarod04,

Your crude oil is very light (API = 47), maybe near a kerosene (Specific gravity = 0.79). I send you a viscosity chart. You have not problem the application of Bernoulli equation, also Darcy-Weisbach if, you work at temperatures higher than pour point, of high-paraffin crudes or heavy fuels.

Napo.

Attached Files

#3 jarod04

jarod04

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 September 2015 - 09:15 AM

Thank you Napo.