Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Reactive Distillation Column Instrumentation

distillation control instrumentation

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 OttmarSchaub

OttmarSchaub

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 04 April 2016 - 01:16 AM

I am currently working on a laboratory-scale reactive distillation column project. The current aim of my work has two objectives: Study the hydraulics of the structured packing used in the column (hand made by us) and implement a control scheme for the automation of the column.

Although the second objective is a little more of a long term requirement, implementing it only facilitates the operation of the column, so I am giving it a higher priority. I have included a diagram of the current state of the column.

One of the experiments for the hydraulic studies is distilling a 40% v/v ethanol/water mixture under total reflux conditions. What may be the most important parameter for the study, is the pressure drop across the column. As of now, we are manually measuring using an u-tube filled with water to measure the gauge pressure before and after the packing. Condensation makes it a little tricky, but it is possible. The problem is, of course, that the measurement is not continuous nor really practical.

My questions are these: What kind of transmitter should I use given that the measuring range should be 0-5mbar, so that it is compatible with distillation? How should I install it to get correct measurements? I've read about inert purges, wet/wet legs and so on, but I don't really know how it should be done.

The next step, which should be within a week is the automation of the heat flow of the reboiler. That on itself should be another topic given the rather unusual design of the reboiler.

Is there anything a more experienced engineer might recommend adding, removing or modifying?

Attached Files

• Attached File  RDC.xls   429.5KB   6 downloads