Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Volatile Liquid

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ryn376

ryn376

Gold Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:47 PM

According to API 2000, 7th Ed., 3.3.2.2.1b), volatile liquids have a vapor pressure greater than 0.73 psi. Is this psia or psig? 

#2 proinwv

proinwv

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 391 posts

Posted 09 May 2016 - 03:50 PM

Correct me if I am wrong guys but I have only seen vapor pressure in psia.

#3 ryn376

ryn376

Gold Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 05:57 AM

That is why I'm a little confused. If the units are psia, that would mean water above approximately 90oF would be considered volatile according to API 2000. That means a very large number of chemicals would be considered volatile...

#4 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 09:41 AM

True, a standard of 0.74 psia means a large number of chemicals get classified as volatile. Consider the flip side. If it means 0.74 psig, then it is saying that something is not volatile until it is well above its normal boiling point. Under this variation, butane is a volatile liquid at room temperature, but pentane is not. Neither is acetone or methanol or benzene or other common solvents.

I am not familiar with the specific API standard that you mention, but, in my own lab work, I consider many liquids volatile even when they are well below their normal boiling point. Consider the intent of the standard. Does it seem to intend only to classify "liquified gases" and other chemicals that are above their boiling points as volatile, or is it intended to identify where a liquid will have a "significant" vapor pressure below its normal boiling point. My first impression is that it would be intended for the latter. A standard that waits until something is above its normal boiling point before calling it "volatile" does not seem very useful or meaningful.