Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flame Arrester Requirement With Pvrv For Fuel Gas Blanketing Tank

flame arrester

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chem2013

chem2013

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 12:05 AM

Dear All,

Tank containing MEG (80%)+Water (20%) mixture has fuel gas blanketing. Tank vapour outlet line under pressure control valve is routed to thermal oxidizer. Tank is provided with a PVRV venting to atmosphere.

Due to having fuel gas blanketing I thought better to have an integral type flame arrester with PVRV that a vendor could offer.

But to accommodate flame arrester, vendor provided two PVRV on the tank and flame arrester was provided for vaccum purpose only.

I have these following query.

(1)Is it safe to not to have flame arrester for this type of design ?

(2)If flame arrester is required, is vacuum application is correctly selected ?

Need your opinion.

Regards.

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 15 August 2016 - 07:07 AM

(1)Is it safe to not to have flame arrester for this type of design ?

(2)If flame arrester is required, is vacuum application is correctly selected ?

Need your opinion.

Chem2013,

Considering lack of whole design info in hand:

(1) No, but appears the design would have no problem with the configuration including FA in vacuum purpose.

(2) Yes, provided that the relevant pressure drop has already been considered and there would be a plan for FA maintenance.

#3 chem2013

chem2013

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 12:11 PM

Hi Fallah,

Thanks for your prompt reply.

My supervisor has the opinion that PVRV does not require any flame arrestor and it is not to be provided for vacuum also. He is of the opinion that flame arrestor will cause problem (like clogging) and will create problem in tank protection.

Due to having fuel gas blanketing (M.wt=16.35) in tank, I proposed to have a flame arrester integral with PVRV.

There is a section in API Std 2000, 7th Ed, that indicates if lightening strike, this could cause flame flashback inside the tank when tank is in out breathing mode. So, my feeling was for over pressure protection also, flame arrester will be required. 

Regards,

Chem2013

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 16 August 2016 - 01:11 PM

chem2013,

There are PVRV's equipped integrally with FA and they can be used either in their pressure parts or in their vacuum parts, but as you well mentioned the FA should regularly be in maintenance service and also the relevant pressure drop has already been considered in the hydraulic design of the vent line including PVRV and FA....but anyway the final recommendation in this regard is not using FA in combination with PVRV due to safety issue....

Edited by fallah, 16 August 2016 - 01:13 PM.