Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Methanol Storage Tank Facility

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 16 February 2017 - 08:20 PM

I have 3 question regarding to my methanol storage tank design:

1. Fire water activation system at methanol tank area, pump house area and loading skid area. What should i use as firawater activation? What in my mind is to use fuseable plug only at all area but if i use that, it will open at that particular area only (say tankage in fire) incase of fire and not at other area. How to know whether to use deluge valve activation, or using gas detector as detection? Any guidelines? Or all of that is our decision?

2. For custody transfer, i will use simple Coriolis meter (with strainer at upstream) for billing purposes. But client required prover for checking/calibration. what i suggest is just to provide valve connection (upstream to my Coriolis) same size as per Coriolis connection, and incase for checking or calibration, third party/authorized body will use that connection for checking. I it true or Any other practice at your place for custody transfer/money meter?

3. Fire risk assessment didn't consider the fire case inside the bundwall (as that case will result over conservative heat contour) plus that case already consider as catastrophic case and complete evacuation + external fire water support is needed. However client required a mitigation step in order to minimize the fire inside the bundwall. I propose to put additional 2 foam monitor in order to slow down the fire incase fire in bundwall happen. Any other practice at your plant or any better suggestion??

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 03:57 AM

hi Farid ,

In a flammable area you should install  detectors to monitor the risk of spillage .fuse is provided to close valves in case of fire .

Yes to mitigate the risk you should use foam .

My view .

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 18 February 2017 - 10:52 PM.

#3 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 06:37 AM

Thanks breizh for the reply.  May i know which location?  Is it all area (tank, pump shed and loading facility) or tank area only required for detector?  I trust that there is no standard specifically mention about this.  Appreciate for your opinion.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 18 February 2017 - 11:03 PM

Hi Farid ,

Currently I'm in China where we use Methanol to produce Methyl salicylate , the storage tanks and work shop are equipped with sensors to detect leaks .

I've the same experience for two  other facilities  in China .

In a case of fire you should be able to isolate the storage stanks and actuate the valves , the reason to use fuse . This is my experience from one facility in Thailand .

For foam , I 've experience where the system is actuated remotely , one in the US the other in China .

Hope this is going to help you , others may have other experiences to share.

You should also consider the fire brigade/ regulation even Insurance companies to support your design .

Breizh

#5 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 11:10 AM

Thanks sir for the sharing. Yea, i will consider the idea. Regarding to the fire brigade, we already consider in the operating manual.  Not only that, we already consider the escape route, assembly in case of fire.  Anyway thanks breizh for the sharing

#6 curious_cat

curious_cat

Gold Member

• Members
  • 475 posts

Posted 19 February 2017 - 01:31 PM

@breizh

Out of curiosity, what type of sensors did you use? 

#7 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,332 posts

Posted 20 February 2017 - 04:48 AM

Hi ,

The brand is MSA and type is catalytic .

Breizh