Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Parallel Pipe System - Sizing Problem

parallel pipe pipe sizing head loss

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ahmadijaz65

ahmadijaz65

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:32 PM

Hi

I am trying to solve a parallel piping system (sizing problem). I need to find the diameter of each branch pipe. I am using a Darcy Head Loss Equation for Iterative solution. I have flowrate, Length, viscosity and density. I will guess the friction factor and continue my iteration but problem is i am not provided with the head loss (hf).

please tell me how can i calculate the head loss (hf) value. Problem sketch and statement is also attached.

Thanks in Advance !

Attached Files

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 05:32 PM

You should think how to do this, do some work, and show it to us. But not in Excel gibberish. I would start with what you know, and see how this relates to the problem. The key lies in the fact that the flow is laminar, so the friction factor is a simple function of the Reynolds number. This is where I would start.

Bobby

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 20 April 2017 - 07:50 AM

Hi,

Consider this file to help you .

Good luck

Breizh

#4 Nikolay_

Nikolay_

Gold Member

• Members
  • 162 posts

Posted 24 April 2017 - 11:54 PM

Hello Ahmad,

Calculate head loss in the main pipe up to 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th branches. Last, you can define diameters of branches under the hypothesis that head loss from discharge of pump to the end of each branch is equal (add early calculated head losses in the main pipe to head loss of branches). I didn’t see pressure at the end points of branches, so I think you can take 20 ft centers to define gage pressure of pump.

Nikolai