Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Psv Marking/nameplate

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ryn376

ryn376

Gold Member

• Members
  • 94 posts

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:43 AM

I have read UG-129 in ASME Section VIII, but it does not mention that a PSV number is required in the "marking" (nameplate). In the U.S. on ASME VIII pressure vessels, is there some code or standard that requires the PSV to have a tag identifying its instrument number, e.g. the PSV is "PSV-100A" on "V-100"? Does it have to be a permanently affixed tag or can it be attached with a car sealed wire?

I am asking because our client has PSVs (with permanently affixed nameplates identifying the PSV tag number) that switch between multiple vessels and the service shop. Say they have 3 vessels "V-101, V-102, V-103" and six PSVs "PSV-101A, PSV-101B, PSV-102A, PSV-102B, PSV-103A, PSV-103B". Each vessel only has one PSV on it at a time, while the other is in storage or in the shop. Also, each PSV could be on any vessel, e.g. PSV-103A could at one time be on V-101 then later be on V-102. Is this acceptable? I would say this would not be allowed since the P&ID would show the wrong PSV tag number unless the P&IDs are updated every time the valves are switched.

Thank you.