Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Liquid Return Line For Unloading

8 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 August

August

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 04:53 AM

For unloading LNG from the truck, a liquid return line is required. It says the liquid return is to balance the unloading flow. Normally I only add the vapor return line from tank to truck. How does the liquid return line work? How to specify the return flow?

Thanks

#2 IGC

IGC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:10 AM

All of your posts seem quite similar... have you just started working at AGA or someone? haha.

You would probably have a recycle line on your pump for you to return liquid when priming the pump, but I've never seen a liquid return line before.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,528 posts

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:11 AM

I never heard of such. Where did you find such requirement?

Bobby

#4 farid.k

farid.k

Gold Member

• Members
  • 384 posts

Posted 08 July 2017 - 09:06 AM

Agreed with bobby

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,292 posts

Posted 09 July 2017 - 04:36 AM

August ,

A sketch to clear our doubts !

Breizh

#6 August

August

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 09:24 AM

All of your posts seem quite similar... have you just started working at AGA or someone? haha.

You would probably have a recycle line on your pump for you to return liquid when priming the pump, but I've never seen a liquid return line before.

I am recently assigned to a project which is excuting by a very small engineering office.

There are full of very strange stuff in there work and nobody could explain to me why, like the liquid return line, like using TRV release gas, using Aspen to calculate pressure drop in the line and give heat loss to a fully insulated line, size RV's without failure case study, and the back pressure of all the RV's is atm. Then size vent flare system separately.....

I am not very often involved in the detail engineering. There can be something that I don't know.

All my discussions with the process engineer ends up with silence or quote" we have been Always doing in this way, take the example from the old projects, it was done by the previous engineer and it is approved by the authority"

I am so frustrated recently. Luckily, I can still get some advices here.

#7 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 01:43 PM

Hilary:

Your use of English is very convoluted and difficult to understand.  Our members are obviously finding it hard to interpret what you mean by such terms as "return liquid line".  If you are unloading LNG (liquefied natural gas) you would normally employ a Return VAPOR Line - not a liquid return line.  As Breizh has recommended, an engineering sketch would greatly facilitate everyone in understanding the application and the problem.

Your personal data lists you as in Belgium.  Perhaps you can use French - or even Flemish to describe your problem.  In any event, a drawing and/or graph are universal language tools and assist greatly in conveying an accurate message between engineers.

Our members can certainly you in a lot of the areas you list, but you must assist them in describing your query accurately and in detail.  We are all here to help when we can.

#8 IGC

IGC

Gold Member

• Members
  • 54 posts

Posted 18 July 2017 - 03:40 PM

Ah, good luck.  As Art mentioned - you are in Belgium?  Antwerpen?

Personally, I don't know why you would have a liquid return line.  Could it possibly be an overflow line to protect the vessel?  Is there an alarm on the line, maybe related to a flow transmitter?  

Edited by IGC, 19 July 2017 - 02:47 AM.

#9 August

August

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 38 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 02:09 AM

Thanks for all the replies.  I've found the answer.

They simply copied the PID from the previous project.  In that project, a pump was installed in the filling station.