Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Heat Exchanger Selection For High Viscous Fluid

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 kamleshbagul

kamleshbagul

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 03:30 AM

Dear All,

I have been looking for the heat exchanger configuration which can be used to cool high Viscous fluid (say 200-1000 poise). Please share your experiences and learning.

Thank and Regards,

Kamlesh

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,952 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 05:30 AM

I have been looking for the heat exchanger configuration which can be used to cool high Viscous fluid (say 200-1000 poise). Please share your experiences and learning.

Kamlesh,

A static mixer heat exchanger in which the tubes are being inserted with static mixing elements will result in enhancing heat transfer rate for viscous fluids.

Edited by fallah, 14 July 2017 - 05:31 AM.

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 14 July 2017 - 09:52 AM

Depending on the temperature-viscosity behavior of process fluid, you may need to consider a closed-loop cooling system with controlled inlet temperature of the coolant to the heat exchanger. The coolant inlet temperature needs to be controlled in order to avoid flow problems on the high-viscosity fluid side of the exchanger, due to cold wall temperatures. Too low a temperature of the coolant may substantially decrease film temperature of the process stream, leading to extreme rise in viscosity, which will diminish heat transfer and promote other flow-related problems (fouling, plugging, under-deposit corrosion etc.).

#4 kamleshbagul

kamleshbagul

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 19 July 2017 - 06:29 AM

Kamlesh,

A static mixer heat exchanger in which the tubes are being inserted with static mixing elements will result in enhancing heat transfer rate for viscous fluids.

Yes sir I have looked for this option. But the major problem is the increase in viscosity of material across the exchanger. It cures and clogs in the twisted surfaces.

#5 Napo

Napo

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 July 2017 - 07:59 PM

Kamleshbagul,

I attached related information from "Heat Exchanger Design Handbook" of T. Kuppan, Edited by Marcel Dekker, New York, 2000.

Napo.

Attached Files

Reply to this topic