Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pneumatic Filling Air Requirements

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 samue.warner

samue.warner

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 02:19 PM

Hi, I am trying to calculate the SCFM for a compressor used for pneumatic filling of chemical tanks. • I know that there is 15 psi of losses in the line from the truck to the tank, the max pressure is 25-30 psi and that the desired flowrate of the chemical is 180 gpm. I initially thought the volume of air would be the same as the volume of chemical transferred and just did a conversion from gpm of air to SCFM, but the answer I got seemed unreasonably small (~40 SCFM). Then I was thinking perhaps the calculation would be based on mass flowrate instead, but I didn’t reach an answer with my calculations. Can anyone help me out with the calculations here? Apologize if this is a relatively basic question, I am a junior wastewater process engineer and don’t have experience with pneumatic filling. If this isn't the correct place on this forum could someone point me to where I should post the question? thank you.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,687 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 04:37 PM

180 U.S. gpm = 24.0625 acfm of displacement for transfer.  Let's assume 30 psig air is required (worst case) and temperatures do not change.

24 acfm x ((30+14.7 psia)/(0+14.7 psia) = 73 scfm

You have to use absolute pressures in gas equations.

Edited by latexman, 16 August 2017 - 04:48 PM.

#3 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 August 2017 - 06:04 PM

Sam:

Your written description of what you are proposing to do is very deficient and hard to understand.  Please refer to the enclosed workbook and look at the sketch I have provided.  Is that something like what you are proposing?  If not, then provide your own sketch.  An engineering drawing is worth a thousand words - and less subject to erroneous interpretations.

The method to calculate the required air capacity to effect the specified liquid transfer is relatively easy to calculate.  What is the Liquid that you are transferring?

Attached File  Liquid Transfer with Compressed Air.xlsx   14.34KB   13 downloads

#4 samue.warner

samue.warner

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 17 August 2017 - 09:57 AM

That drawing is correct, thank you. Sorry for not being specific enough. So then latexman, it looks like my original approach was right after all just not my execution? Thank you.