Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Application Of Engineering Standards In Projects

standard project design

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 victorvikram

victorvikram

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 07:52 PM

Hi everyone,

I have a general question to ask. Recently I was questioned by my superior on the use of API standards for power generation and chemical projects. As per my superior's view, he is with the impression that API standards are ONLY applicable for petroleum or petroleum derivative type of engineering projects. Therefore, it is inapplicable for chemical, power generation or even biofuel projects. He claims that British Standards are more suited to such projects. By the way, his engineering experience is focused toward palm oil mill operations and design.

From my opinion, API or BS are equally applicable for both petroleum and non-petroleum based projects. I would like to know your opinion on this matter.

Regards,

Victor

#2 sukanta87

sukanta87

Gold Member

• Members
  • 90 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 09:28 PM

I think that should be open to the acceptable standards. I used API standards in one of my academic projects which were not limited only in the petroleum field. If the standards matched with the materials you are dealing with I don't see any problem. The best thing can be to use the most appropriate standards related to your projects or the parts of your projects. In the standards, there are many emprirical equations or calculations for some of the specific processes. Be cautious when you are considering them in your project. 

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,376 posts

Posted 13 November 2017 - 10:39 PM

Requiring equipment be designed to API standards can add considerable capital cost. I would not make API the default standard for power generation or chemical projects. Why not build equipment to meet the requirements of the service? Put project money to use where there is the best return on investment.

#4 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 14 November 2017 - 12:21 AM

If you are in the engineering business to serve clients, you need to adhere to recognized standards. Otherwise, you would soon be out of business because of court judgements. Reputable engineering companies make a mess even with recognized standards. So, when there is a problem, and there always is, the company is usually in a much better position if they adhere to recognized standards. The big companies also have their own design requirements, but that is insufficient  for engineering and delivering a good, safe facility. Just look at some of the queries you see here. And some of the responses. And the client company's staff that interfaces with the contractor is often clueless. Believe me, I have seen it all over my 50 years career as a client and an engineering contractor. Art and other seasoned veterans will likely attest to the same. Don't be innovative in applying standards. If you are the contractor and take shortcuts, the inevitable will result. The state of Texas does not require that vessel designs adhere to ASME code. But only a fool would design otherwise. I have been asked by an idiot lead to do such. I did not. Your leader is supposed to lead. That means supplying you with the proper tools and procedures.

Make prudent choices. And the boss is rarely right. Often foolish.

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 14 November 2017 - 12:22 AM.