Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

De-Ethanizer Receiver Relief Load Calculation

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 go-fish

go-fish

Gold Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 06:14 AM

I am doing adequacy check calculation on a PSV on a de-ethaniser overhead receiver for an existing facility(see sketch attached). The overhead from the de-ethaniser goes to a condenser and then to a receiver vessel. The vapor outlet from the receiver goes to the fuel gas header and the liquid is full reflux to the de-ethaniser. The column overhead has a PSV set at same pressure as the PSV on the receiver. Based on my understanding, I am considering the following as credible relief scenarios: 

1. External Fire
2. Blocked vapour outlet
3. Loss of reflux due to blocked liquid outlet as column PSV already accounts for reflux failure. 

I have calculated relief load for the fire case. I am not really sure for the relief load calculations for blocked vapour outlet. Should I take relief load as the normal flow through the control valve at relieving conditions and use vapour sizing equation to come up with the orifice size?

Attached Files

Edited by go-fish, 03 January 2018 - 09:52 AM.

#2 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 03 January 2018 - 11:55 PM

I am doing adequacy check calculation on a PSV on a de-ethaniser overhead receiver for an existing facility(see sketch attached). The overhead from the de-ethaniser goes to a condenser and then to a receiver vessel. The vapor outlet from the receiver goes to the fuel gas header and the liquid is full reflux to the de-ethaniser. The column overhead has a PSV set at same pressure as the PSV on the receiver. Based on my understanding, I am considering the following as credible relief scenarios: 

1. External Fire
2. Blocked vapour outlet
3. Loss of reflux due to blocked liquid outlet as column PSV already accounts for reflux failure. 

I have calculated relief load for the fire case. I am not really sure for the relief load calculations for blocked vapour outlet. Should I take relief load as the normal flow through the control valve at relieving conditions and use vapour sizing equation to come up with the orifice size?

I think, yes you should size PSV for the normal vapor flow thru the control valve.

#3 go-fish

go-fish

Gold Member

• Members
  • 183 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 04:58 AM

1. External Fire
2. Blocked vapour outlet

I think, yes you should size PSV for the normal vapor flow thru the control valve.

Thank you for your response. How do I calculate the relieving temperature corresponding to the relieving pressure for the blocked vapour outlet case? I have the simulation.

#4 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 04 January 2018 - 05:11 AM

1. External Fire
2. Blocked vapour outlet

Thank you for your response. How do I calculate the relieving temperature corresponding to the relieving pressure for the blocked vapour outlet case? I have the simulation.

Estimate dew point temperature corresponding to the relieving pressure. In simulation, specify composition of ovhd vapor stream, relieving pressure and vapor fraction =1, the simulator should flash this stream and will give the dew point temperature.