Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure Relief Valve Orientation

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 GVe

GVe

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:29 AM

Good morning to All,

Is there any orientation fixed by any standard to mount the pressure relief valve? I was asked to mount the relief valve only in vertical position but I am having a constraint to orient the relief valve always in vertical position in my Reciprocating compressor. What problem are expected in mounting the valve horizontally. 

I have seen many other (manufacturers) Reciprocating compressor models oriented the relief valve horizontally.

Please advice

GV

#2 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,930 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 12:55 AM

Is there any orientation fixed by any standard to mount the pressure relief valve? I was asked to mount the relief valve only in vertical position but I am having a constraint to orient the relief valve always in vertical position in my Reciprocating compressor. What problem are expected in mounting the valve horizontally. 

I have seen many other (manufacturers) Reciprocating compressor models oriented the relief valve horizontally.

GV,

What is your real constraint?

In general, it's highly recommended to install the PSV in vertical position but there might be no problem installing in horizontal position provided that the PSV inlet/outlet lines are routed without any pocket along them plus respecting pressure drop limitations...!

#3 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 20 April 2018 - 10:56 AM

The line connecting the equipment to the relief valve does NOT have to be straight and always vertical up, but it should not be downward. Just make sure you have a bend in the pipe so that the valve itself is vertical up.