Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Emergency Shutdown Action On A Control Loop

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SawsanAli311

SawsanAli311

Gold Member

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 01:46 AM

Hi, 

I would like to get your feedback regarding whether the code allows to have a link between an ESD trip singal acting on its final SIF elements (SDV) in addition to sending a signal to another DCS pressure control loop to change the controller output to higher opening of a PCV for example. The reason for such a proposal is to help in mitigating pressure build up at the suction of a tripped compressor. 

Since control DCS elements are not SIF and hence cannot be SIL assessed, I am doubting whether it is acceptable to take credit for the above described linking action between ESD and DCS.

Appreciate your feedback and views based on your experience. 

Regards, 

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 10:28 AM

Sounds like you are doing something wrong if you need to complete this action.

#3 SawsanAli311

SawsanAli311

Gold Member

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:00 PM

Hi Mr.Bobby, 

Actually I have seen this proposal in one of the field modifications proposed for a gas compression plant, In one of the design review workshops , I clearly highlighted that there shall be no signal inter-link between an ESD function and a DCS control loop.. Yet, Contractor stated that this is acceptable, I am highly doubting this I am seeking more views on the subject with specific quotes from the code if anyone has..

Thanks 

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,954 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 12:32 PM

Actually I have seen this proposal in one of the field modifications proposed for a gas compression plant, In one of the design review workshops , I clearly highlighted that there shall be no signal inter-link between an ESD function and a DCS control loop.. Yet, Contractor stated that this is acceptable, I am highly doubting this I am seeking more views on the subject with specific quotes from the code if anyone has..

Hi,

I don't think such a matter being dictated by a specific code and i think it might mostly be mandated by engineering practices rather than the code...

I have seen control valves, say FV, received DCS signal for normal function also equipped with a solenoid valve being activated by an ESD signal in an emergency case and override the flow signal from the DCS to be situated at the relevant fail safe position...

#5 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 01 January 2019 - 07:55 PM

Most owner companies I have dealt with would NOT allow this.  They would require separate sensing devices for the SIF and DCS actions.