Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Wellhead Oil Dewatering Facilities

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SawsanAli311

SawsanAli311

Gold Member

• Members
  • 99 posts

Posted 01 February 2019 - 12:36 PM

Hi Everyone, 

I would like to know if anyone have experienced the implementation of upstream wellhead dewatering processing unit in order to mitigate  very high water cuts experienced in specific producing reservoirs. We have existing pipeline systems which are expected to be overloaded with future associated produced water (with the produced oil) and which will surely suffer from emulsion high viscosity and increase in pressure drop. Any thoughts or experiences on how similar situations were resolved in worldwide projects?

Thanks 

#2 Technical Bard

Technical Bard

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 407 posts

Posted 14 February 2019 - 08:15 AM

If you have very high water cuts (>70%), the emulsion will have an apparent viscosity very close to that of water.

If you are lower than that, then yes the emulsion may be viscous (emulsion viscosity is as yet not a well understood science).  You can put separators at wellheads, but the problem then becomes what do you do with the produced water?  It likely requires processing of its own to get down to a disposable oil or salt content (don't know where you are or what your local regulations might be.

#3 SyedAhmed

SyedAhmed

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 15 February 2019 - 05:04 AM

You need to define the phases with flow rate.

#4 kkimic

kkimic

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 04 July 2019 - 03:36 AM

We have provided multiphase hydrocyclones for dewatering purposes, installed upstream of the production separators. We have many references, drop me a message I will be happy to provide.

Have a look at this:

https://www.exprogro...p-back-pressure

Best Regards,