Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Proii

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 09:36 AM

Hi All,

We mix Biodiesel in our diesel to increase its lubricity.

The Biodiesel is imported and its Material Safety Datasheet states the following in the component cell

"Fatty acids, C16-18-and C18-unsaturated, methyl esters"  

Can anyone guide me to set up the biodiesel stream in PROII with the aforementioned details.

Thanking you in advance.

Regards

#2 PRVBoss

PRVBoss

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:34 PM

I think you're looking for the fatty acid methyl esters (FAMES): methyl oleate, methyl palmitate, methyl stearate, methyl linoleate, and methyl linolenate. You should be able to make a blend of these compounds, adjusting their relative compositions to match additional data (boiling point, viscosity, etc.) on the MSDS.

If they are not present in the compound list you might need to create them. NIST RefProp includes data so you should be able to get started there.

#3 Chemitofreak

Chemitofreak

Gold Member

• Members
  • 291 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 05:30 AM

PRV Boss,

Thanks for your response. It is indeed FAME.

Where do I find NIST Ref Prop, in Component Family? (Please note that I am new to PROII)

#4 PaoloPemi

PaoloPemi

Gold Member

• Members
  • 549 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:56 AM

"Fatty acids, C16-18-and C18-unsaturated, methyl esters"

do not provide sufficient information about composition (required to define a model with a simulator as proII),

if you have data such as densities, viscosities etc. you may attempt to "fit" a model...

#5 PRVBoss

PRVBoss

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 20 February 2019 - 11:28 AM

Paolo is right on. You need to add those compounds to your simulation then adjust their component fractions to fit the data you have on the mixture (density, viscosity, etc. probably also on the data sheet or otherwise from supplier).  Are they in the ProII compound list? I don't have access to it currently.

If the FAME compounds are not yet in your ProII compound list then NIST RefProp is a separate program that you can use to gather enough information on thermophysical properties to add those compounds to the ProII databank. https://www.nist.gov/srd/refprop

Or you can web search some of their specifics and have ProII estimate the rest. I would guess they are in there though and you just need to adjust their mol fractions to fit the other available data.