Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Use Of Choke

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 SyedAhmed

SyedAhmed

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 05:54 AM

Dear All

I am working on Brown field projects. Client has extra material like angular choke valves @ there store. Can anyone guide me that

can angular chokes be used instead of inline chokes? Please share your experiences.

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 22 February 2019 - 09:15 AM

A choke valve works as a throttle valve whichever is the style or the type.  That has been my experience in using them in the field.

I have preferred the 90 degree type, but that has been because of the piping configuration and the applications.

Do you have any doubts or problems in deciding which style to use?  How do you intend to use the Choke valve?  And in what kind of service?

You fail in giving us the raw, basic data to respond specifically.  Do you understand that you could use the valve as a simple throttle device on a single phase fluid or as an adiabatic expansion of 2- or 3-phase fluid?  Or even as a Joule-Thomson valve?  If you do understand that and know how the valve is built, why don't you tell us how you intend to use it and on what type and condition of fluid?  That would make things so simple ........  But maybe you are working on a super-secret government project and can't reveal such simple data.

And, by the way, a choke valve is not a relief device.  That is why I'm moving this thread out of the Relief Devices Forum.

#3 SyedAhmed

SyedAhmed

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 39 posts

Posted 26 February 2019 - 06:51 AM

Art

The system in which we use inline choke is gas lift line and water injection line. Because of the extra stock of angular choke I raise the question.