Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Tubing Vs Piping Under As4041

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 black friday

black friday

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 01 April 2019 - 09:26 PM

Hi all, 

I just wanted to check my thought process. I'm dealing with a fitting that is only readily available in sizes suitable for tubing. 

If I were to use tubing to allow me to use these fittings, instead of piping, would I still use the same method to determine pressure rating under AS4041?

I'd just spec the wall thickness using the AS4041 version of Barlow's formula and then exceed that as I would with piping?

Thanks!

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 12:33 PM

Since you give no information on your community stats, I have to assume you reside in Australia since I believe Standard AS4041 is a 330-page Australian pressure piping standard.

With all due respect to Australia, I don't think a lot of people outside of Australia are familiar with that standard.  I am not and so, I believe, are a lot of our members.

However, if I were in your place, I'd use Barlow's Formula to determine the maximum pressure the selected tubing would be expected to take and if that is below the working maximum pressure expected to be applied, I'd use the tubing.  The smaller the tubing, the higher the maximum allowable working pressure it can take.  I've used tubing on hydraulic and other high pressure lines up to - and exceeding - 5,000 psig.  But not with reference to AS4041.

#3 black friday

black friday

Gold Member

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 02 April 2019 - 04:36 PM

Thanks Art, you've confirmed my assumptions.