Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

H2S Removal - Options?

sour gas h2s scavenger

1 reply to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 billybedeveril

billybedeveril

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 08:47 AM

I have a predominantly methane gas feed with approximately 2,000 ppm H2S. What are the options for removal? From what I've seen: 

1. Liquid scavenger: PPM level is probably too high, but why? Is this to do with OPEX or because of reaction byproducts? What are the reaction byproducts?

2. Amine column: Traditional, higher CAPEX

3. Other? solid bed? what is done with the spent catalyst, can this be regenerated in situ? 

Any help much appreciated!! 

Thanks

#2 AdamMM

AdamMM

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 05:00 AM

Hi billybedeveril

I rarely seen chemical H2S scavenger for gas phase. But i have several experience with scavenger for sour crude. It works fine, and you are right, selection between processing and chemical injection is a trade off between OPEX and CAPEX and it is all case to case basis. Normally what i have seen, Chemical injection is for polishing, just to reduce few ppm of H2S in case of process upset or only if the H2S ppm is quite low.

For gas, the most widely used is chemical absorption (DEA, MDEA, activated MDEA). Some physical-absorption (Selexol) and Phisio-chemical absorption (sulfinol) also available from technology provider.

If you have very high ppm and have enough pressure you may opt for gas membrane for bulk removal and select other process for polishing.I have experience where we H2S by membrane, which than polished further by a reactive adsorption of Solid Bed (granular iron oxide–based bed). In this case in the contract we specify for the manufacturer to take away the spent catalyst upon replacement.