Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Equipment Labelling

label

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 ezralh

ezralh

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 08 July 2019 - 08:21 PM

Is there any standard for labeling process vessel such as storage tank or distillation column? Label here referred to vessel name and tag number. I would like to know information such as font size, type, the back ground color.

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 03:22 AM

Hi ,

Did you check with your company standards ?  Don't recreate the wheel ! This is going to affect a lot of documents (PIDs, equipment, engineering drawings ,SOPs , Work permits system ,….)  .

To me you should discuss the matter within your company.

https://www.aiche.or...tation-diagrams

more using your favorite engine.

my 2 cents

Breizh

Edited by breizh, 10 July 2019 - 12:44 AM.

#3 FRBChemE

FRBChemE

• Members
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 July 2019 - 07:54 PM

While checking Company Standards is a good idea, many companies no longer keep up standards.  Some of the large oil companies do!  However if a company hires an Engineering Contractor, he will want to use his standards in labeling and naming vessels, towers, etc.  Furthermore I have seen Engineering Contractors want to charge more to use client company standards.  Most companies put up with Constructor's code until the job is complete and quietly change the nomenclature to whatever they want.

One of the best naming systems I have seen is used for Off Shore Equipment.  The system is spelled out in one of the API Standards for Off Shore Equipment.  Sorry I do not remember exactly which one.