Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Commissioning Activities: Special Tests

commissioning chemical cleaning refinery gas processing alkali boil-out refractory dry-out cooling water passivation leak test

No replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Uchihahaha

Uchihahaha

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 24 November 2020 - 11:41 PM

Hello All!

I am a graduate engineer trainee who has recently joined the commissioning department of an EPC contracting company. As such, our work is centered around various tests/procedures/activities that need to be conducted at the project site post mechanical completion in order to make it ready and safe for Feed Cut-In and normal operation, such as N2/He Leak tests, Chemical Cleaning, Alkali Boil-Out, Passivation, Refractory Dry-Out, etc.

My question is with regards to these activities, which are fairly common amongst Oil & Gas projects. Are there any universally accepted standards (API, ASME, etc.) for conducting these tests and the specifications for the same? (For e.g. what is the standard procedure for conducting a N2 leak test in a tray tower and its associated piping? What is the accepted pressure at which it must be conducted and what must be the holding time?) In my limited experience, there seems to be a lack of consensus on the specifics of the test. Licensor/Asset Owner recommendations (if any even exist) for the tests are very vague and hardly ever practically followed during execution.

Would appreciate any clarifications I can get on the same!