Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Multi-Tubular Packed Bed Reactor

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 chemengstudent1996

chemengstudent1996

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 04:55 PM

Hi, I  am designing a multi-tubular packed bed reactor like a shell and tube heat exchanger. Do I need to model the reactor according to TEMA standards. For example, do I need to follow the constraint of 5<L/D<10 and maximum shell diameter of 2540mm ?

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 05:18 PM

Why not?

Bobby

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,693 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 05:42 PM

What’s the MAWP and MAWT of the shell and tube side? If it falls under the jurisdiction of your local pressure vessel Code, it must meet that pressure vessel Code. If dimensionally it falls outside of TEMA, so what? It still must meet your pressure vessel Code.

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,390 posts

Posted 17 March 2021 - 10:14 PM

TEMA standards are an easy way for exchanger manufacturers and exchanger purchasers to understand what is being sold. The standards make it simpler for vendors to bid and for the purchaser to compare bids between vendors. Different specifications other than those conforming to the TEMA norms can be agreed upon by both buyer and seller. Those 'exception' specifications are noted in the contract. Heat exchangers built with 'exceptions' may suit the purposes of the buyer better than conforming to TEMA standards. The buyer can ask for equipment to be manufactured according to any specifications desired. TEMA does not mention packed bed reactors and is not intended to guide design of packed bed reactors.