Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Relation Of Solubility And Vle (Equilibrium)

equilibirum

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 qhsuoo

qhsuoo

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 01:06 AM

Hi,

Is there anyone know the relation/function between material's solubility and its equilibrium mole fraction.

For example, if I know ammonia solubility in water is 31%, can I get its liquid mole fraction (equilibiirum)? or if I know in equilibrium the ammonia has liquid mole fraction x=0.3, what is its solubility in liquid?

Thanks 

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 06:29 AM

Perry's Handbook has tables on ammonia/water VLE.

#3 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 09 July 2021 - 11:18 AM

I'm not sure I understand the question. For a system like this (two subcritical fluids), "solubility" and "VLE" are essentially the same thing. You would also need to specify temperature and pressure in order to give an real meaning to a statement like "solubility is 31%" -- you need to say, "at temperature T and pressure P, the solubility of NH3 in H2O is 31%". Looking at the tables in my copy of Perry's, perhaps you are assuming something near room temperature and about 1 atm or bar pressure, but one needs to state those assumptions.

What are you really trying to do with your one statement on solubility? Predict the solubility at other temperatures and pressures? Predict the bubble point pressure at a different liquid composition at the same temperature?