Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Designing Lapple Cyclones

lapple cyclone

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 maryamuller

maryamuller

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 12:18 PM

Hello everyone,

For a university assign, I must design a Lapple cyclone (or an association of Lapple cyclones) capable of retaining 0,05 mm particles with an efficiency of 80%. All I know is that the incoming flow of the cyclone(s) is of 0,00660271 m3/s.

(Equations are in the Excel sheet.)

I first computed D* from the data of efficiency and diameter and had D* = 2,8387E-05 m. I then proceeded to the calculation of Dc to the design of the Lapple cyclone with the project equation.

I used the Q I had, 0,00660271 m3/s, considering only 1 cyclone, and I found Dc = 0,30323497 m. From this, I can infer that in the cyclone a = Dc/2 = 0,15161749 m and b = Dc/4 = 0,07580874 m. However, if I do velocity (u) = Q/(ab), I find a very low velocity (0,5744 m/s). Lapple cyclones can only be used within 6 to 21 m/s.

I tried to overcome this problem by fixing a velocity, but at the end I end up having an incoming flow different from the one I must have. I think I must use several cyclones to solve this problem, but I'm not sure how to do this. All I know is that using cyclones in parallel would divide the incoming flow between them, which is not desirable (the incoming flow must be higher so the velocity is higher too, and within 6 to 21 m/s).

Any thoughts?

Please find attached the Excel sheet for this problem, containing some other useful informations.

Thank you in advance!

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 15 December 2021 - 03:50 PM

This paper might be useful: https://ajer.org/pap...50401300134.pdf

#3 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 16 December 2021 - 12:09 AM

Hi,

We did not find your excel sheet !

To support your work consider the excel sheet attached .

Good luck

Breizh