Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Barometric Condenser Hotwell Volume Design

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 zorro1234

zorro1234

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 08:31 PM

Hi all, 

I'm trying to find more information on hotwell design for barometric condenser tail pipe seal and found few confusing info. Read documents attached.  

I'm actually facing problem in my plant where the vacuum pump is drawing the barometric water in the hotwell tank to the pump discharge. 

I was told that is due to insufficient submerge height of the seal pipe due to insufficient hotwell volume but I has doubt on this. 

My condenser tailpipe outlet is 11m above the hotwell, and my tailpipe is 700mm submerged if measured from the hotwell overflow line. 

Could anybody advise the hotwell volume design for a proper barometric leg seal ? 

Thank you. 

Attached Files

#2 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 13 January 2022 - 11:40 PM

You should illustrate your system.

Bobby

#3 zorro1234

zorro1234

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 04:59 AM

Hi Bobby, 

Please find below sketch that explains the system. 

Water is gushing out at the vacuum pump vent even when the system is just doing vacuum test with no load.  

Thank you. 

Attached Files

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,340 posts

Posted 14 January 2022 - 05:16 AM

Hi,

Some literature to support :

https://www.bicmagaz...arometric-legs/

Underneath a design with volume consideration (page 228) .

http://www.iqytechni... Technology.pdf

What is the volume of your barometric leg versus the volume of the tank (part immersed) ?

Is your barometric leg a single pipe ? No flange ?  

Good luck 

Breizh

#5 katmar

katmar

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 668 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 08:20 AM

You are definitely breaking the seal at the bottom of the barometric leg.  The clue is that you are pulling water over an 11 m height, which is normally impossible.  The only way I can see that you would find copious amounts of water reporting in the vacuum pump is if air is being drawn in through the bottom of the barometric leg.  This air will lower the density of the fluid in the barometric leg and this would result in more than 11m being required to balance the vacuum.  You are basically using the barometric leg as an air-lift pump.

You have omitted 2 critical dimensions that would allow us to evaluate the design.  The volume of water that is provided by the hotwell when the level drops by 700 mm must be sufficient to fill the barometric leg to around 10 m.  Unless we know the ID of the hotwell and of the barometric leg we cannot calculate whether or not this is a problem.

Don't forget also that when you shut down the vacuum pump the water in the barometric leg will rush down into the hotwell.  There must either be sufficient headroom above the overflow pipe from the hotwell to accommodate this, or you need a large overflow pipe.

#6 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 12:37 PM

It's also possible that you have damage somewhere that restricts flow in the downpipe. Or, maybe a leak in the downpipe that allows air entry. Is this a problem with an old installation that has recently occurred? And, you should note when it was observed and what else was happening at the time. That's where you should always start an investigation.

Bobby

#7 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,686 posts

Posted 15 January 2022 - 03:44 PM

What kind of vacuum pump, please?