Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Plant Layout Design

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 JArchy123

JArchy123

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 06:18 PM

Hi Everyone,

I'm currently starting to design a plant layout for all my units taking into account a list of considerations. The textbook Chemical Engineering Design Principles, Practice and Economics of Plant and Process Design by Gavin Towler and Ray Sinott recommends to look at Process plant layout.by J.C. Mecklenburgh but this textbook is so difficult to find. Are they any textbooks you would recommend to look at for greater detail on plant layout design.

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 07:34 PM

I do not understand how much detail you would need for a student project. There is no one right way to design a plant layout. Make sure to leave room for maintenance. Can you get a lift vehicle close? Is there room to pull out an exchanger bundle for cleaning? Is minimum distance kept for fire protection? Try to have a consistent philosophy so that your finished plant layout looks neat.

Here are a couple of references that have more details than I ever wanted to know:

Engineer’s Guide to Plant Layout and Piping Design for the Oil and Gas Industries by Geoff Barker

Process Plant Layout and Piping Design by Ed Bausbacher, Roger Hunt

I have copies of these books but I've only skimmed them. They are not 'recommendations' but are the only ones I am familiar with.

#3 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,688 posts

Posted 19 February 2022 - 08:14 PM

I like a “ring road” around the plant, for emergency response access to all the plant.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,348 posts

Posted 20 February 2022 - 03:57 AM

Hi,

Another reference : Process plant layout by Sean Moran 

Very important to manage the flow to prevent jam within the plant  ( material , packaging, finished goods).

Think twice about the location of the storage tanks , warehouses .

Breizh