Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Steam Methane Reformer In Production Of Methanol From Natural Gas

steam methane reformer smr reforming furnace reactor

7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 adam123collings

adam123collings

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 March 2022 - 08:19 AM

Im currently working on the design of a steam methane reformer . Our aim is to design a natural gas-to-methanol plant capable of meeting an annual production rate of at least 300,000 metric tonnes per year.

After successfully going through your previous posts regarding steam methane reformer, I have manged to successfully carry out the energy balance, mass balance and the amount of fuel (NG) required. one key information to mention is the fact that I'm designing a steam methane reformer for the production of methanol rather than hydrogen. And when carrying out the energy balnce i have excluded the tail gas stream as fuel.

However I'm struggling with three key aspects of my design, one being pressure drop calculations in the reactor and the second being the type of reactor required, the sub parts involved with it, if we're required to bring the feed ( NG / steam) to a certain pressure/ temperature) and if so how we would go about doing this. And finally, an assessment of the rate controlling steps if applicable.

#2 SilverShaded

SilverShaded

Gold Member

• Members
  • 237 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 03:38 AM

Methane reformers typically operate at around 30bar, if the Natural gas supply pressure is not high enough you will have to compressr it, steam, somewhat obviously, should be steam of the right pressure. 

The reaction takes place in tubes fill with catalyst inside a furnace, there are various proprietary designs, top fired, bottom fired, side fired etc check out the licensors web pages.

There is probably some kinetic information online somewhere, use google.

#3 adam123collings

adam123collings

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:12 AM

Dear SilverShaded,

Thank you for your swift reply, have you got a direct link for a licensors webpage as I'm struggling to find one. 

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,344 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 08:17 AM

Hi,

Google Steam methane reformer licensor 

https://www.topsoe.c...hanol/reforming

Good luck

Breizh 

#5 adam123collings

adam123collings

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 March 2022 - 03:16 PM

Hi breizh,

Thank you for the reply, I've checked out the link you've mentioned however i didn't seem to take much detail away from it, in your opinion would it be a good idea to model the reactor as a heat exchanger and design it from there or nor?

Edited by adam123collings, 02 March 2022 - 03:16 PM.

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,344 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 01:00 AM

Hi,

Consider the search engine in this forum to support your work .

Good luck

Breizh

#7 adam123collings

adam123collings

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 March 2022 - 01:06 PM

thank you for the swift reply breizh, i will do, coming on to my next point do you have any idea how i can go about sizing the reactor if the only details i have is the composition of the inlet/outlet and the amount of methanol  that needs to be produced.

#8 PingPong

PingPong

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,446 posts

Posted 16 March 2022 - 06:07 AM

Im currently working on the design of a steam methane reformer . Our aim is to design a natural gas-to-methanol plant capable of meeting an annual production rate of at least 300,000 metric tonnes per year.

After successfully going through your previous posts regarding steam methane reformer, I have manged to successfully carry out the energy balance, mass balance and the amount of fuel (NG) required. one key information to mention is the fact that I'm designing a steam methane reformer for the production of methanol rather than hydrogen. And when carrying out the energy balnce i have excluded the tail gas stream as fuel.

However I'm struggling with three key aspects of my design, one being pressure drop calculations in the reactor and the second being the type of reactor required, the sub parts involved with it, if we're required to bring the feed ( NG / steam) to a certain pressure/ temperature) and if so how we would go about doing this. And finally, an assessment of the rate controlling steps if applicable.

You probably already saw this topic but I'll mention it here anyway:

https://www.cheresou...-reformer-unit/

Unless you want to use an isothermal reactor (like Linde) the reactor design for a gaseous reactor is rather simple: a vertical vessel with catalyst particles in it. See for example the WGS reactor that I showed in the mentioned topic. Methanol reactor layout can be similar.

Reactor pressure drop can be calculated using Ergun equation.

I have no experience with methanol reactor sizing so I can't advise you on that.

Maybe you can find kinetics in scientific articles or on the internet.