Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Lhsv-Correct Interpretation(Inputs Needed)

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 04:41 AM

Hi, for a quick sizing of mixed-phase reactors(such as say a trickle bed which has both liquid feed and a gas like hydrogen enteriong the reactor) I ma using LHSV values typically applied to this type of reaction from literature.

what I wanted to know was does the definition of LSHV include porosity? this is not clearly mentioned anywhere. Some say it doesn, some say it doesnt.

for example, in a lot of peer reviewed papers and articles, LHSV for  a particular reaction is mentioned as 5 hr-1.

So lets say i have a LIQUID feed flow rate of 5 m3/hr entering the reatcor. (Gas flow may be higher say 25 m3/hr)

so the bed volume = liquid flow rate/LHSV =  5/5 = 1 m3.

now is this the bulk bed volume or just the volume occupied by the solid catalyst particles? if its the latter, i need to divide this volume further by voidage to get my bed volume.. what is the commonly accepted convention scentifically and industrially? i need this to quickly scale up a reactor based on data from literature for industrial operation.

any pointers to reactor design of this type based on LHSV is welcome. I also need to know how to figure in the gas velocity in sizing the bed and the reactor volumes. (reactor volume is > bed volume)

Thanks

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 05:08 AM

Hi,

It seems there is a consensus on the definition: 

http://www.eptq.com/...24-d45bfaef8c64

my 2 cents, after asking my best friend Google

Breizh 

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 14 October 2022 - 09:29 AM

Ask your catalyst supplier.

Bobby

#4 daraj

daraj

Gold Member

• Members
  • 221 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 02:07 AM

Breizh, thanks, although the lin you have given as inputs on everything except reactor volume definition. From what i gathered looks like the bulk bed volume(including voidage) is considered for LHSV, not just the catalyst volume, typically.

#5 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,349 posts

Posted 15 October 2022 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

Yes, I believe so, should include the void of the catalyst bed,

EDIT: not sure!

http://pu.edu.pk/ima...20-Feb-2014.pdf

As pointed out why don't you call or drop an email to catalyst vendor to get a final answer? In any case you will have to make the call.

BTW did you check the technical data sheet of the catalyst?

Breizh