Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Guidance Needed For Sizing A Knockout Drum With Multiple Psv Discharge

psv drum

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 fmalik

fmalik

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 01:11 PM

I'm currently working on a process engineering project involving a knockout drum with multiple connections, including two PSV discharges from upstream lines at 26 bar gauge and 20 bar gauge, respectively. The upstream PSVs were sized for a fire case scenario based on liquid trapped in sections of the pipe, providing specific relief rates for each.

My query revolves around the appropriate Psv sizing criteria (two psvs) for the knockout drum. Should the sizing be based solely on the fire case of KO drum, considering the liquid level within the drum? Or is it more accurate to size the drum based on the total combined relief rate from the upstream PSVs which are being discharged into KO drum. KO drum operating P is 0.05 barg and design pressure of 2 barg.

Any advice or insights, especially regarding industry standards or best practices in such situations, would be greatly appreciated.

#2 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 01:30 PM

Is there a credible case with the two upstream PSVs and the KO drum in the fire at the same time?

You haven't given much information here to help with.  No layout drawing, fire areas identified, fire protection identified, no chemicals, no volumes, etc.

You need to work with a team from the Plant, Safety, Engineering, Fire Protection, Insurer, etc. to get at this.

#3 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 04 December 2023 - 01:55 PM

One does not install PSVs on flare KO drum. And, pay attention to above comments.

Bobby

#4 fmalik

fmalik

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 05 December 2023 - 10:58 PM

Thanks for the feedback. I will inquire about this.