Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Smart/intelligent P&id Software

p&ids software smart p&ids business development

2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 felixmosson

felixmosson

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 05:38 AM

I have recently discovered software called Smart P&IDs which is used for managing and producing P&IDs. They can extract data from P&ID drawings to produce valve lists, line lists etc.

My company have asked me to look into this, and I was wondering if anyone has had experience with using Smart P&IDs and if they have a recommendation of some software I should consider? Ideally, we would like a package that integrates AUTOCAD. If so - could you please outline some of the features you find useful? If you have an indicative cost of the software it would be helpful too. 

Thanks!

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,347 posts

Posted 17 March 2023 - 02:09 PM

I worked at a couple of companies that transitioned to smart P&IDs. There is a big learning curve and cost but it can improve engineering project efficiency after the break-in period. Insisting on Autocad may be artificially limiting your options as the complexity of the smart P&ID software means you can learn to use other drawing packages without much more additional trouble. Cost of total package is key so make sure you account for the cost of add-ons and expansion licenses and consulting. Vendor support is crucial for initial setup of databases but you will have to stay on top of the project to get the customization you need. Get input into the design from all the stakeholders -- this will really shake up your current system. There will likely be things the software cannot do that you really want for consistency with the past so this will mean many project procedure changes. Check out the software references in similar companies in your industry. The companies I worked for that transitioned underestimated the time and trouble it would be. However both claimed big cost savings in the end. The price of progress!

#3 felixmosson

felixmosson

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 March 2023 - 10:37 AM

Thank you for your response Pilesar. I anticipated there will be quite a few major changes by using this software, but as you said it is the price of progress. Think there is a lot of potential cost savings in the long run which is the most important part.

I worked at a couple of companies that transitioned to smart P&IDs. There is a big learning curve and cost but it can improve engineering project efficiency after the break-in period. Insisting on Autocad may be artificially limiting your options as the complexity of the smart P&ID software means you can learn to use other drawing packages without much more additional trouble. Cost of total package is key so make sure you account for the cost of add-ons and expansion licenses and consulting. Vendor support is crucial for initial setup of databases but you will have to stay on top of the project to get the customization you need. Get input into the design from all the stakeholders -- this will really shake up your current system. There will likely be things the software cannot do that you really want for consistency with the past so this will mean many project procedure changes. Check out the software references in similar companies in your industry. The companies I worked for that transitioned underestimated the time and trouble it would be. However both claimed big cost savings in the end. The price of progress!