Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Flowmeter Selection For A Process Operating Under Vacuum

flowmeter vacuum viscous liquid coriolis

6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 canan

canan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 03:53 AM

Hi,

What type of flowmeter is suitable for a viscous liquid (>10cst @40'C) process stream line operating under vacuum (~50mbar). 

Flowmeter will be placed to the inlet of a "distillation column" and vacuum is applied from the "top product storage tank" of the column. Hence vacuum creates suction of liquid throughout the process, which means there is a "motion-driven flow" instead of a "pressure-driven flow". 

I have searched about coriolis flowmeters but since the pressure drop is too high for these flowmeters many vendors have trouble to give quotation. Is there any suggestions?

Thank you...

#2 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 04:28 AM

Hi,

Can you share with us a simple PFD or PID to better understand your project? Tell us the reason why you don't consider a pump to transfer the fluid to feed the column.

Waiting for your PFD/PID but already pessimistic.

Note: You mention a flow meter, how do you intend to control the flow?

Breizh 

#3 canan

canan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 06:19 AM

Hi Breizh,

Sure there is a transfer pump to feed the column and the flow will be controlled with this pump. 

How can I share a document in this platform. When I try to paste an image the system gives error "You are not allowed to use that image extension in this community"

But simply the system is vacuum distillation tower. We want to measure the feed rate.

Thanks  

Attached File  Genel PFD.pdf   50.95KB   19 downloads

Hi,

Can you share with us a simple PFD or PID to better understand your project? Tell us the reason why you don't consider a pump to transfer the fluid to feed the column.

Waiting for your PFD/PID but already pessimistic.

Note: You mention a flow meter, how do you intend to control the flow?

Breizh 

Edited by canan, 06 April 2023 - 01:38 AM.

#4 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 05 April 2023 - 07:43 AM

Hi,

OK I misunderstood, sorry!

Did you check with Endress Hauser, they have a mass flowmeter which is a straight pipe Coriolis type? You can google the reference Promass 80 or 83.

To add a document :

Click on Edit Button  then Full editor Button , select your document and click on attach this file button 

Good luck and welcome to this forum.

Breizh  

#5 canan

canan

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 01:36 AM

Hi Breizh,

I have already get into contact with emerson, krohne and a few more good companies. Unfortunately even straight tube coriolis creates a greater pressure drop than the process pressure. Do you have know how about ultrasonic flowmeters for these processes?

Thanks for your kind welcome...

#6 breizh

breizh

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 6,346 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 02:51 AM

Hi,

Based on my experience, I encourage you to contact E&H who is leading the straight-line technology.

Note: You need to consider all the system, not only he flowmeter but also the control valve (except if you use an inverter), the piping and ultimately the technology of the pump.

About ultrasonic flowmeter, it depends on physical properties of your fluid, you need to consult vendors.

You may consider non-intrusive flow meter, Doppler type. 

EDIT: you may want to contact a chinese supplier to get a second opinion and quick answer:

https://www.drurylan...al-flow-meters/

Good luck,

Breizh 

#7 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 06 April 2023 - 06:50 AM

A solution is some situations would be a positive displacement flow meter. If pressure drop is a problem, the perhaps a positive displacement pump would provide the metering as well as the pressure drop solution. As long as you get repeatable values, the engineering units could be non-standard and measured in rpm or similar.