Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Double Wall Ethylene Stoarge Tank Heat Loss

4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 KHANFA

KHANFA

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:00 AM

HI All,

I am trying to calculate propylene losses from a double wall storage tank operating at 0.066 kg/cm2g & -42 Celsius.

In the tank calculation sheet its shown that percent losses per day are 0.1548%, this number is derived considering the design liquid level ( maximum level) i.e. 80%.

My question is the loss of propylene is dependent on liquid level in the tank, higher the liquid level higher the losses & vice versa?

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:07 AM

The heat transfer rate between the liquid and the wall will be higher than the heat transfer rate between the vapor and the wall.

#3 KHANFA

KHANFA

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 07:19 AM

Thanks Pilesar for your feedback, so you mean the losses will be more if we keep the tank at higher levels?

#4 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 10:49 AM

As the tank level is higher, more metal is contacted. You can think of it as a percentage of liquid lost each day. With a double wall tank and regular usage, the losses may not be significant, but you would not expect long term storage at atmospheric pressure without using refrigeration. See this thread for additional comments which may be useful: https://www.cheresou...age-conditions/

#5 Bobby Strain

Bobby Strain

Gold Member

• Members
  • 3,529 posts

Posted 08 August 2023 - 11:45 AM

Is this tank with its auxiliaries already in operation? Or being constructed? You title the query "ethylene". You then say propylene is stored. Is the loss calculation for ethylene or propylene?

Bobby

Edited by Bobby Strain, 08 August 2023 - 06:01 PM.