Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Hot Insulation

3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Lyne

Lyne

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:28 AM

Hi everyone!

Please in an EPC project, who specifies and calculates the hot insulation material and thickness for piping and equipments, is it a process engineer responsibility? I mean a process engineer can do it but is it his responsibility? I'm a junior engineer who still learning her scope of work limitations

Thank you!

#2 Pilesar

Pilesar

Gold Member

• Members
  • 1,386 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 08:37 AM

In my experience, equipment thickness is by mechanical engineer with process engineer helping specify design conditions. Insulation material and thickness can be by process engineer. There is often a table or chart for plant insulation application standards. Sometimes operations, maintenance, and piping engineers have preference on insulation type for corrosion or other reasons. In general, process engineer signs off on P&IDs so should be comfortable with the selections if not directly calculating everything included on the P&ID. Company practice sets the responsibilities.

#3 shvet1

shvet1

Gold Member

• Members
  • 350 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:14 PM

piping engineer

#4 fallah

fallah

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 4,955 posts

Posted 14 April 2024 - 11:19 PM

Please in an EPC project, who specifies and calculates the hot insulation material and thickness for piping and equipments, is it a process engineer responsibility? I mean a process engineer can do it but is it his responsibility? I'm a junior engineer who still learning her scope of work limitations

Hi,

Piping engineer, helped by mechanical engineer, normally prepares a document titled "Specification for Insulation" contains the tabulated info of required insulations based on the temperature ranges and piping/equipment sizes. Process engineer specifies at first the necessity of insulation for each line/equipment and then the type of required insulation based on mentioned prepared specification.

Reply to this topic