Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Overpressure Contingencies For Ethylene Compressor

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
3 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:43 PM

Hi all,

I have an ethylene intake compressor with a pulsation dampener on the discharge side. I am trying to determine the relief contingencies for the PSV which is situated on a 3" pipe downstream of the dampener vessel. The details of the compressor are:

Ethylene
Suction pressure & temperature: 17 bar abs & 20 degC
Discharge pressure & temperature: 28 bar abs & 58 degC
Mass flow: 18200 kg/hr

There is also a restriction orifice upstream of the downstream and another between the dampener and PSV. What are the overpressure contingencies that I need to consider for the PSV? The only one I can think of is a check valve downstream of the PSV which could fail closed?

Thanks in advance.

#2 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:11 PM

You are on right track.

When PSV is provided to protect 'reciprocating machine' on dishcarge line, there won't be any other contingency other than "blocked outlet".

Important thing in such configuration is that there should not be any device which can block the flow path between PSV and comopressor, except for the isolation valve of PSV (if provided) which must be "locked open".

I guess you don't have any doubt on how to determine relief load for "blocked outlet" scenario.

Thank you,

#3 Guest_helena_*

Guest_helena_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:01 AM

Is it sufficient to use the flowrate given by the compressor datasheet, which is 18200 kg/hr? From this I can determine if the current PSV is adequately sized?

Thanks again for your help.

#4 Nirav

Nirav

Gold Member

• Members
  • 122 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 02:09 AM

QUOTE (helena @ Dec 8 2006, 02:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Is it sufficient to use the flowrate given by the compressor datasheet, which is 18200 kg/hr? From this I can determine if the current PSV is adequately sized?

Thanks again for your help.

Yes. Provided that 18200 kg/hr is "rated" or "maximum" capacity of compressor.

If it is "normal" flow rate and if compressor has overdesign capacity, kindly add overdesign flow. You can find out this on compressor datasheet.

Further, for your information, consider required properties of fluid at "relieving conditions" for PSV sizing or checking.

Hope it helps.