Jump to content



Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

2

Should I Just Give Up


2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Spoonerism

Spoonerism

    Brand New Member

  • Members
  • 1 posts

Posted Today, 03:11 AM

I graduated with a degree in chemical engineering in May 2025 and started my first process engineering role in August of 2025. In the beginning of January 2026, my relationship with my girlfriend ended with me in a really ugly manner. I’ll spare you the details but the point is that this break up lead to an unhealthy amount of rumination about how it ended. This level of rumination is what made me question if I had something going on mentally.

Looking back, I’ve likely dealt with lifelong anxiety, but I didn't recognize it at the time. Majoring in ChemE and playing college golf meant a brutally tight schedule leading to me doing 17 all-nighters, which severely exacerbated my mental health. Looking back I’ve always ruminated, and it had being getting worse leading g up to my graduation, but the breakup was the tipping point, as the rumination crippled me so much I couldn't focus at work. Since I couldn’t focus at work, I fell behind, and tried to compensate by working massive extra hours off the clock just to keep up. Because I was constantly drowning in work and catch-up time, I couldn't see a doctor to get help before things boiled over. As a result, I was fired in May 2026.

Since then, I’ve dropped back to my old high school job as a farm research technician. I am finally getting professional help (seeing a psychiatrist and waiting on therapy), but honestly, I'm still struggling to maintain performance even at this lower-stress job. Right now, I know I couldn't handle an engineering workload. Despite that, I’ve been applying as much as I can since being fired, targeting engineering roles that match my experience level. I've had a few interviews, but my confidence is shattered, and my job history from this past year is tough to explain without saying I was essentially incompetent for the job due to my mental health.

So, am I cooked? Should I just give up on trying to get an engineering role?



#2 katmar

katmar

    Gold Member

  • ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 705 posts

Posted Today, 03:51 AM

You have done the correct thing by seeking professional help.  There may be engineers here who have had similar experiences and can offer you some encouragement.  But I would suggest that you take any advice here simply as encouragement and reassurance that you are not alone and rather make important decisions based on professional medical advice.



#3 breizh

breizh

    Gold Member

  • Admin
  • 7,042 posts

Posted Today, 05:54 AM

Hi,

I believe Katmar told you the right thing, get support from a professional. Get back on your feet before looking for Job. As you pointed out engineering work is very stressful, why do you consider other jobs like working in a factory, doing process work assistant to operation manager or may be teaching in the Chem Eng Field?

Good luck.

Breizh






Similar Topics