Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Light Crude Dewatering

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 12:54 AM

Do any of you have expereience of dewatering light crude down to 200ppm? Is there any proven technology with previous experience?
Please refer to the attached file for a specification.

Attached Files

#2 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 04:16 AM

I don't know whether they can meet the 200 ppm spec, but you may ask a vendor such as http://www.gastechen.../desalters.html whether they can do this. They should be capable to steer you into the right direction...

#3 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 08:55 AM

From what I know, based on my Crude Unit operational experience and literature knowledge, it is not possible to achieve such high percent of crude oil dewatering and desalination in a single-stage desalter.

When operating single-stage desalter, it is possible to remove about 90% of salts and provide for water content of desalted crude between 0.1-0.2%vol.
Multistage desalting units (usually two in series) are capable to achieve salt removal efficiency of 99% - if operating parameters and chemical dozing program are at their best.

Of course, I believe it is not possible to run the desalting unit at maximum efficiency 100% of time, especially if there are frequent crude switches (different types), regardless of good instrumentation and operational excellence. I think there is no chemical vendor that can guarantee 200ppm water content in desalted crude.

#4 Milutin

Milutin

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 47 posts

Posted 12 February 2007 - 05:08 PM

Why anybody need crude oil specification of 200ppm. In case of diesel I can understand but not for crude oil.

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 20 March 2007 - 12:58 AM

QUOTE (Milutin @ Feb 13 2007, 09:08 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why anybody need crude oil specification of 200ppm. In case of diesel I can understand but not for crude oil.

200 ppm water comes from the design of the downstream refinery, which was designed for a dry light crude

#6 smalawi

smalawi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 138 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 08:41 AM

crude units main column will run on higher water content as long as it can be taken out in the reflux vessel.

If the reflux vessel is undersized then you neet to either raise the level to increase the residance time in the vessel or to look for another design alternative (coallser / bigger vessel)