Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

- - - - -

Plate & Frame Heat Exch. Damage

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mannan

mannan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 08:56 AM

[COLOR=blue]

Dear sir, we have plate and Frame type heat exchanger for cooling sulfuric acid ( 93-98.5 % @pressure 3.5 kg/cm2) by using of cooling water pressure@ 2.5 kg/cm2. What are the reason to get the HE. frame will get damage? Thanks for advance...

#2 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:10 PM

mannan:

Your query is difficult to interpret, but I'll try: you presently have a plate heat exchanger (PHE) in sulfuric acid cooling service that has been "damaged". You don't explain the type or degree of damage, so it is only speculation to dwell on that.

What is unusual for this application is to find a PHE in this type of hazardous service - unless it is 100% seal-welded. But if that's the case, why not apply a spiral type? Sulfuric equipment should always be specificed with a minimal of joints - especially gasketed joints. To do otherwise is to invite a potential accidental leak or spill that puts operating personnel in jeopardy.

PHEs are excellent and efficient exchangers; but in this application I question the safety, logic, and economics that were applied. Handling sulfuric acid should not be a problem if properly designed and contained equipment is employed. I am interested in finding out the details of this application and I wish engineers who enter questions and queries would take the time and write out a reasonable, detailed explanation of what they are presenting in order to eliminate a lot of guessing and speculation on the part of respondents. This would make not only engineering sense, but it would make for accurate and efficient answers or help.

#3 mannan

mannan

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 16 December 2003 - 01:42 PM

Thank u very much Mr. Art Montemayor..

sulfuric acid temp around 65 to 80 deg celcius
cooling water temp around 25 to 40 deg celcius.

We used keep open the Bypass of HE if we want reduce the heat exchange the sulfuric acid.

#4 Chris Haslego

Chris Haslego

Administrator

• Admin
  • 191 posts

Posted 17 December 2003 - 09:50 PM

Since I work in this area within Alfa Laval, I believe I can offer some insight. Alfa Laval has been using plate heat exchangers in strong sulfuric acid duties for years. In fact, we have installations that have been operating successfully for over 12 years. Alfa Laval and Haynes International jointly developed a material called Hastelloy D-205 especially for this service. There are two gasket materials available for your duty and they're known as FKMG and FPMS (both fluoropolymers).

Can you lend any additional insight into exactly what type of problems that you're having?

#5 Guest_RTE_*

Guest_RTE_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 18 December 2003 - 09:38 AM

mannan,

The last company I've worked as a process engr in has two high-volume sulfuric acid plants that uses semi-welded PHE's as acid coolers (one plant was designed by lurgi and the other by monsanto). We've had lots of experiences on PHE problems in this application. Now if you could just shed more details of your problem, maybe i could also share some insights which may help.

For example, what kind of damage are we talking about? leaks? if so where specifically do these occur? Is this an external leak or something in which acid crosses over to the water side?
Did you observe any process problems before this "damage" occured? Any change in pressure drop, temperature, concentratrion, etc? Did you observe any accumulation of solids in the PHE?
What material is used for the plates? for the gaskets?

Thanks.

ph34r.gif