Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Pressure/temperature Varience On Viscosity?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 madmanfrommars

madmanfrommars

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 30 September 2007 - 11:26 PM

Okay for fluid mechanics, I have a question that involves calculating the reynolds number of air at 180F and at 2atm, but the reference tables in my textbook only give me the viscosity at 1atm and 350F.

I have absolutely no idea what to do at this point. I would appreciate any help that could be provided.

On a side note, how high can reynolds numbers run? For a problem I got a calculation of a reynolds number for water flowing through a pipe at 150,000, but I checked every number and unit 100 times. Is that even possible?

#2 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:19 AM

To find the viscosity of air at a given temperature just google 'air viscosity calculators' and you should get loads of hits. e.g. http://www.lmnoeng.c...asViscosity.htm

You're unlikely to find anything that calculates viscosity as a function of pressure because it varies little (Crane says no more than 10% up to a pressure of 500 bar - if this can be extrapolated back to 2 bar then the pressure-effect is negligible).

I hope someone else can confirm this but I think it's all down to the ideal gas nature of the gas. I have a vague recollection that the relevant equation has viscosity directly proportional to pV^n - so for an ideal gas n=1 and pV is constant. If its a coursework question just state this as an assumption at the beginning of your answer - 'Assumed air at 2 bar behaves as an ideal gas and therefore pressure effect on viscosity is negligible'.

With regards to Reynolds number - I dont think there's any theoretical limit on the magnitude. Check each value you're putting in and consider if its a realistic value and you should be ok. E.g. there's nothing theoretically wrong with a pipe being 10 miles in diameter (which would give a high Reynold's number) but its pretty unlikely.

However, I made a couple of assumptions - v=10m/s d=3" and Re=150,000 sounds about right.
(If it puts your mind at rest the standard Moody chart plots Re upto 10,000,000.

#3 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 01 October 2007 - 05:24 AM

Sorry - I just re-read your post and your Re=150,000 was for water not Air :s

Nvm its still ok. density/viscosity is roughly 1000000. A typical velocity might be 2 m/s. Sooooo that would give a line size of 3" which sounds good.

PS sorry for SI units.