Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Help With Che Thermodynamics Homework

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Guest_Arkymedes_*

Guest_Arkymedes_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 12:25 AM

I have multiple questions that I have been working on for hours, and I have searched the internet vigorously and I have found nothing, so I decided to post the following questions in the ChE forum. The actual homework assignment is attached, I need help with problems 4,5, and 6. If you want to reply to 1,2 and 3 thats fine, I could always verify my results.

4.) This question is from "Introductory Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by Elliot and Lira: Express (?H/?V)_T,N in terms of "coefficient of thermal expansion, isothermal compressibility and constant-pressure heat capacity." (?H/?V)_T,N [(partial derivative of enthalpy/partial derivative of volume) with constant temperature and mole number]. I assume you use maxwell relations and probably jacobian manipulations. However, I don't know how to rearrange the expression so only S(entropy), T(temperature), V(volume), and P(pressure) are involved, which is a requirement for jacobian manipulation.

5.) This question is from "Chemical, Biological, and Materials Engrineering Thermodynamics" by Jaun de Pablo: Show that the following fundamental enthalpy relation is for a simple ideal gas H=AN(P^? )exp(S? /NR). It further states that I should observe similarities between that equation and this equation
S=Ns_0 + NR*log{((U/Nu_0)^c)*(V/Nv_0)}.
The entropy equation is for an ideal gas. I see that one equation has a log and one has an exponential function, but that is about it. I really have no idea at all about this one.

6.) This question I guess the professor just made up: Verify that the maxwell relation (?P/?T)_V,N = (?S/?V)_T,N holds for an ideal gas. He further stated that I should use this equation
S=Ns_0 + NR*log{((T/T_0)^(c+1))*(P_0/P)}

Comments: I have no idea about these three questions. If you have any questions feel free to e-mail me at droehrich@wisc.edu or post any suggestions. I am really stuck on these questions, so anything at all will help.

Attached Files

• Attached File  HW5.pdf   84.71KB   59 downloads

#2 Allen

Allen

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 36 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:32 AM

This is just an observation, I won't offer any advice as such.

Whilst I appreciate the purpose of this forum, I can't but help feel concerned when a student seeks the advice of strangers on the net but feels unable to consult his own lecturers or professors. It's sobering to consider that the older brigade, such as myself, who received their education in the 1950's and 1960's managed to survive without the help of the internet!

#3 JEBradley

JEBradley

Gold Member

• Members
  • 126 posts

Posted 11 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

U may feel sobered by that thought but i feel totally inebriated by the fact I don't have a clue where to start with those questions!!

#4 Guest_Arkymedes_*

Guest_Arkymedes_*
  • guestGuests

Posted 11 October 2007 - 10:22 AM

If you ask the professors....they tend to give you a very vague hint, which is usually of no help. I have so many other classes, and the questions are not much easier, so a vague hint on problems like these, as well as for my 4 other classes....well there is a tme constraint

#5 MrShorty

MrShorty

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 517 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 09:57 AM

Here are my "vague hints" I don't want to do your homework for you, but you said you had no idea where to begin, so here's where I began:

4) I started with H=U+PV and simply took the partial derivative. I also note that you left out what I thought was an important detail in the way the question was asked. According to the attachment, the resulting function will be a function of alpha, Cp, and/or kappa.

5) I didn't understand this one at all, because I'm not sure what gamma is in the equation.

6) You are given S as a function of V and P as a function of V. The question is simply asking you to show that the two partial derivatives are equal. It seemed to me that the best place to start was to obtain expressions for both partial derivatives.

Hope that helps.

#6 latexman

latexman

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 1,690 posts

Posted 12 October 2007 - 12:59 PM

When is our homework due?

#7 hoyoku

hoyoku

Gold Member

• Members
  • 61 posts

Posted 19 October 2007 - 11:51 PM

Read "Introduction to Chemical Engineering Thermodynamics" by J.M. Smith, chapter 6. It should help you. All the best.

Joseph