Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Rain Deck Trays

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
5 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 VELU_BAPCO

VELU_BAPCO

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 28 October 2007 - 11:07 PM

HELLO!

HAVE ANYBODY HEARD ABOUT RAIN DECK TRAYS?

WHAT TYPE OF TRAYS ARE THESE?

REGARDS,

VELU.

#2 harish

harish

Brand New Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 5 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 03:17 AM

Velu,
Its not clear on what context you`re asking this question.I suppose you`re talking about deck drains in offshore platforms.It will be easy for forum memebers if you could give some background information.

Regards
Harish

#3 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 29 October 2007 - 01:19 PM

Velu,
What you refer to as "rain deck trays" may be splash trays; for example, what are called "disc and donut trays" are a type of splash tray. Downflowing liquid just "rains down" from the upper part of the column to the bottom. The trays serve to force the fluids (liquid and counterflowing vapors) from side to side and to break up the liquid into droplets by repeated impacts. There are other types of splash trays besides the disc & donut, but all are fairly simple and generally inefficient (from a mass transfer viewpoint) devices. They do have some advantages - for example, they resist plugging and can handle solids if correctly designed. Let's hear back from you if that answer falls short of your needs.
Doug

#4 VELU_BAPCO

VELU_BAPCO

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 04:22 AM

Doug,

Thanks for your reply. I came across data of a Visbreaker unit main fractionator, which says that the column contains disc and donut trays and rain deck trays. I've seen disc and donut trays and your answer explains its functions and advantages. Can you throw some more light on Rain decks (Are these trays similar to disc and donut trays in construction)?

#5 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 30 October 2007 - 01:45 PM

I think what you are calling rain deck trays are just semi-circular plates that occupy half (+/-) of the column's cross-sectional area. I've seen them where they're basically half toe column, alternating between (say) the left and right sides. You could add flat or notched baffles, as desired. You could also have the plates obstruct more than half of the cross-sectional area. This I've seen done with holes drilled in a center segmental area of the trays. There are other arrangements I've heard of but am not very familiar with. I'm sure they all come with their own sets of advantages and disadvantages. There is also "grid" which is just a very, very open type of structured packing. Maybe that would work?

HTH,
Doug

#6 indy

indy

• Members
  • 24 posts

Posted 31 October 2007 - 11:46 AM

If you are talking about a Visbraker column, in the figure bellow on the bottom of the column these are the so called trays used.

http://www.freepaten...390-0-large.jpg

regards

luismarques

cool.gif