Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Centrifugal Pump Failure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
4 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 mmole

mmole

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:24 AM

to whom it may concern

we are currently operating on a wax plant and we use 2 identical centrifugal pumps to pump hot condensate from two vessels, problem is they keep on failing not simultaneously though. i am looking to investigate possible causes of this failure and would like to know of other possible failures. (conflict in operation of the 2 pumps, etc ) please help sad.gif

#2 pleckner

pleckner

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 564 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 06:28 AM

Are you a student or a practicing engineer? If not a student but a practicing engineer (which is what I would expect from this type of question) then please post this in the "Industrials Professional" Forum and you will get a much better response.

#3 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 10:38 AM

Dear,
Can you be more specific about your query.If it is clear condensate then you may check the static head (level in the vessel) what you maintain in the vessels may be pump is under starvation or cavitating due to lack of required NPSH.Waiting for your reply.

#4 mmole

mmole

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 12:26 AM

im actully a student working on a small project, but thanx for the reply il try the industrial professional. rolleyes.gif

#5 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 06 December 2007 - 07:34 AM

mmole:

Please pay attention to what Phil has written and what he has explained. Phil is assuming that you are a practicing engineer because of the erroneous manner that you have written your query. I don't believe you tried to mislead us, but as a student you have misled us with your mistaken way of writing your query. You, it seems, are NOT operating a unit and have no operating experience in pumps. We need to know your preparation and background level.

If you are a Student, then it is best you write your query within the Student Forum. The Industrial Professional Forum is not forbidden to Students and the advice there is much more detailed and professional. However, the chances are that you won't understand exactly just what we are talking about. You don't have the experience yet.

We can respond to your queries in the Industrial Forum, but we don't know who it is we are writing to and what your background and training are. It is very difficult and taxing to try to explain somethings to a student when we don't know your level of preparation and experience.

I would advise you to remain within the Student Forum.