Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Benefits Of Using High Up Stream Steam Pressure

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 sprem

sprem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 04:49 AM

Dear All,

We need 14.2 kg/cm2 steam for a particular heating operation.what are the expected advatage/disadvantage in

1. Tapping this from a 20kg/cm2 header line

2. Tapping from a 17kg/cm2 header line.

Assume 95% steam quality.

Regards,

SP

#2 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:50 AM

Some very general comments -
The higher the steam pressure, the higher the value of the steam. Besides just the pressure itself, this is because the higher pressure steam is (probably) available at higher temperature.

Using steam for heating, I would always prefer saturated steam. Since you list the steam's quality, you don't have to worry about superheat, though it is not clear to me what the 95% quality is due to. If the 20 and 17kg/cm2 headers carry either saturated or superheated steam, then where is the liquid water coming from?

Doug

#3 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Tap from 17kg/cm2 header line, less pressure drop, less energy lose...less noise...less vibration...bigger steam control valve...steam line size larger as more steam massflow @ 17 kg/cm2 require...

There is just a small pressure different between both pressure level and you won't see big advantage selecting either pressure level...

#4 sprem

sprem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:23 AM

Sir,

Thank you very much for the reply.I would like to clarify my specific doubt little more.

We observed increased temparature in a given time for the surface heated with higher header pressure ie 20 kg/cm2 when compared to 17kg/cm2 (in both cases 14.2kg/cm2 was the end line pressure).in both cases steam was genarated from the same boiler.what could be the reason?.

Regards

Sp

#5 JoeWong

JoeWong

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,223 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:29 AM

We observed increased temparature in a given time for the surface heated with higher header pressure ie 20 kg/cm2 when compared to 17kg/cm2 (in both cases 14.2kg/cm2 was the end line pressure).in both cases steam was genarated from the same boiler.what could be the reason?.

What do you mean by "increased temparature in a given time for the surface heated with higher header pressure " ?

What surface are you referring to ?

#6 sprem

sprem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 11:06 PM

Sir,

we are putting steam in to a rubber membrane and measuring the outer surface (outer surface temparature of the membrane having 9.5 mm thickness). In one case it was found to be 165 °C in 20 minutes, and in the other case it was 172 °C. In both cases all other parameters were the same - except the steam header pressure from which the tapping for 14.2 kg/cm2 was taken. Hope the point is clear to you.

Any suggessions?

Regards,
SP

#7 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

Dear,
You dont consider the basic like saturation temperature of the 20 Kg/cm2 g pressure header will be more than the others (as the header pressures are low) which will yield the higher temperature of the end user in this case.
The reply to your first post is ,
1. Check the vibration analysis from your instrumentation and process control department in both the cases ( i.e. from 20 Kg-14.2 Kg and 17 Kg-14 Kg)
2.Check the cost for both the cases for higher pressure drop application control valve size will be smaller resulting into less price.
3.Check the degree of superheat associated with the pressure letdowns in both the cases and their effect on the end application.

Hope this could help you a little.If this is not making any sense please ignore my suggestions.

#8 sprem

sprem

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 03:09 AM

Dear Padmakar,

I will study your suggession and come back

Thanks

regards,

Sp