Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Design Ii

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
6 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 martin

martin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:39 PM

Hi all.

I recently checked the web to buy this simulation software Winsim Design II - but quite expensive.

However, I got a link to get the full working software for only $50. Please, have anyone bought this software from the website because I find it hard to believe it.

Here is the link: www.engineeringzone.org.

Comments will be appreciated.

#2 us001666

us001666

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 08:33 AM

I wondered the same thing. MatLab 7.1 for $50? Did you ever find information about this site?

#3 martin

martin

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 09:43 AM

Yes, I got some info. I bought a couple of packages from the site and all worked good and the prices are cool.

#4 Art Montemayor

Art Montemayor

Gold Member

• Admin
  • 5,780 posts

Posted 25 January 2008 - 12:14 PM

Martin:

Allow me to be direct and blunt about this subject, because I consider the subject one of high importance for all chemical engineers.

Do not contribute your money to an enterprise that is based on false and/or erroneous propaganda. There is no such thing as a $50.00 price for serious and sophisticated simulation programs such as Design II for Windows or Pro II. If this is not an out-and out “scam” operation, it is based on either stolen, illegally copied, or false software. I strongly recommend that you – and all other engineers (or engineering students) who are reading this – not involve yourself in that type of software procurement. I believe I am very correct in what I state because of various reasons.

1) I have spoken with WinSim, Inc., the company that owns Design II for Windows. They fortunately are located right here, close to my home, in Sugarland, Texas. They have not licensed nor sanctioned the website that you refer to as legal, recognized distributors for their software. How these people have gotten a copy of WinSim is anybody’s guess – but that copy is not legally saleable (if it exists).
2) What that means is that you are dealing with a rogue outlet for software. The creator and rightful owner of that software will not recognize your use of it and you are not backed up with anything like service, programs, help, etc. You may be dealing with a totally pirating organization that is illegal and certainly not ethical.
3) If you use this software in your professional work, you are open to claims of not being an ethical engineer – since you are dealing with illegal software. If deemed unethical, then you cannot exist as a recognized, registered professional engineer. And if you are not recognized as a professional, registered engineer, then you can’t make a legal living by selling your services as one.
4) Once an engineer involves himself in an illegal act or operation, he/she are suspect and it becomes very hard to work with other engineers. Other engineers will always ask themselves: “Can this engineer be trusted to act and produce in an ethical and honest manner after being involved in such activities?” The answer, of course, will probably be negative. Stated in another manner, how could anyone use a "trustworthy" bridge that was built using pirated software and have a feeling of confidence?

I have consistently and repeatedly counseled all engineers on our Forums to stay away from this type of false and misleading temptations. What seems to be illogical and unreasonable is exactly that. The old adage, “There are no free lunches or free rides”, directly applies to this case. The price you pay for “free” or “relatively free” software may be your future career. I would not take that chance.

If you or others would like, you can contact Design II for Windows at:

Phone: 281-565-6700
Fax: 281-565-7593
E-mail:
  • sales@winsim.com
  • support@winsim.com
  • admin@winsim.com
  • accounting@winsim.com

Mail:
WinSim Inc.
P. O. Box 1885
Houston, TX 77251
USA

Physical Address:
WinSim Inc.
14090 Southwest Freeway, Suite 550
Sugar Land, Texas 77478
USA

It has been my good fortune and luck to have entered the Chemical Engineering curriculum at Texas A&M in 1956, where I met and became a classmate of Mr. (Dr., now) Mike McGuire, the developer of WinSim. From an exceptionally brilliant student and chemical engineer, it was natural that this level and class of software would be developed. Besides being a point of pride in my background, I take it as a personal affront that someone would steal the efforts and product of one of my classmates – especially one who worked, studied, and applied himself as hard as Mike did. It isn’t fair, and it isn’t right. Even if I didn’t know Mike, my attitude would be the same and it would reflect what we took on as our traditional values at Texas A&M: Aggies don’t cheat, steal, or lie.

I hope my comments on this subject are appreciated.

#5 smalawi

smalawi

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 138 posts

Posted 26 January 2008 - 03:26 AM

I totaly agree with Art,

this is a scam and even if you got the software, which i really question, its illegal.

#6 joerd

joerd

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 371 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:13 AM

If it sounds too good to be true, it probably is not true. Trust your instincts, this is a scam.
Read their FAQ, and convince yourself:
1. Are the softwares full install versions and not an upgrade? Also will I get the activation or registration key or what?

All our softwares are full versions , no upgrades or student versions.. Serials , keys, activation codes, cracks, and patches are provided.

No bona fide software company will provide you with cracks of their software.
4. Is this legal?

Yes this is legal provided you use the softwares for educational purposes only. It is forbidden to use these softwares in companies or for commercial purposes.

In some cases, "educational" has been used to circumvent claims of reverse engineering of the software (in order to obtain activation keys etc.) The mere fact that commercial purpose is specifically excluded gets the redistributor off the hook most of the time.

Note that nowhere on the site you can find a telephone number or a physical address. A domain name lookup ends at "privacyprotect.org". Draw your own conclusions, and, as Art says, don't gamble with your future.

#7 gvdlans

gvdlans

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 619 posts

Posted 28 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

Hmm prices went up dramatically...

They ask $300 now for Design II and $250 for Matlab 7. I didn't know inflation was like that in the US, or maybe the $50 prices were just too suspicious?