Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Lp Applied To Petroleum Refining.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
2 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 Nathalie Marie

Nathalie Marie

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 12:35 AM

I would appreciate your help with the following: I am currently developing a research thesis on investment decisions in petroleum refining through linear programming. My supervisor advised me not to develop a model from scratch and use one of the existing software, such as PIMS… I know about LP but I must admit that I am not an expert. I would call upon your help if you are an expert or a user with experience of what could be good LP software and is there a way of getting for free through the net. FYI, I am trying to include in my model, in addition to the classical variables for a petroleum refinery, the carbon constrain.I would like to thank you very much for your time.Nat

#2 Zauberberg

Zauberberg

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 2,727 posts

Posted 01 May 2008 - 01:05 AM

Hello Natalie,

This is not exactly my area of expertise, but I remember from my refinery days that Aspen PIMS was (and it still is) recognized as top-level software for linear programming and it has been used by our guys in Schedulling & Optimization Department. Apart from PIMS, few other companies have developed their own applications for LP and production/blending improvement: RefSim (Shell) and something like "Profit tracker" (you have to check it yourself, I am not sure about this one - from KBC London).

All these softwares are very expensive, and I don't believe you can find on the internet anything free of charge - if it is a legal copy. But on the other hand, there is a vast public library available online, and intensive Google search will lead you to many professional publications and technical articles which are worth reading.

Best regards,

• guestGuests
  • 0 posts

Posted 12 June 2008 - 02:52 AM

Dear Nat.
Here are some LP softwares that use for refinery planning and scheduling,along with their supplier:
Honeywell Hi-Spec Solutions-RPMS – Refinery & Petrochemical Modeling System
Aspentech - PIMS – Process Industry Modeling System
Haverly - GRMPTS
Bst rgs