Featured Articles

Check out the latest featured articles.

File Library

Check out the latest downloads available in the File Library.

New Article

Product Viscosity vs. Shear

Featured File

Vertical Tank Selection

New Blog Entry

Low Flow in Pipes- posted in Ankur's blog

Working For Consulting Firms In Oil And Gas

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
7 replies to this topic
Share this topic:
| More

#1 TroyH

TroyH

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 14 May 2008 - 09:45 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am a final year Chem. Eng student, and am in the process of Graduate Applications.

I have received an offer for graduate employment from one company, and will begin work part time for another tomorrow, as work experience. This second company have basically told me that I will be offered a position later.

Both are based in Houston, Tex. and are operating in Perth, Western Australia.

I was wondering if anyone who has been working in this industry, might be able to offer some (as objectively as possible) opinions of these two companies. I am just trying to evaluate the two positions in respect to which will be best for my development as an engineer. Unfortunately it is hard to find any information that has not come from the companies themselves.

If you think you may be able to help me, I would appreciate it if you contacted me via PM.

Kind Regards,

Troy

#2 TroyH

TroyH

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 17 May 2008 - 01:39 AM

Have I asked a taboo question or has no-one amongst the 122 people, who have viewed this thread, got any experience with working in this sector?

If I haven't made it clear enough, both are consulting companies that work in the oil and gas sector, and have head offices in Houston Texas.

Thanks for looking anyway.

Kind regards,

Troy

#3 TroyH

TroyH

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:21 AM

Well I took the offer, so this thread is now defunct. Response from the company has confirmed that I made the right decision. smile.gif

I am still interested to know if I have asked a taboo question, or if perhaps the right people have simply not seen this thread?

#4 Padmakar Katre

Padmakar Katre

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 992 posts

Posted 19 May 2008 - 05:42 AM

QUOTE (TroyH @ May 19 2008, 03:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well I took the offer, so this thread is now defunct. Response from the company has confirmed that I made the right decision. smile.gif

I am still interested to know if I have asked a taboo question, or if perhaps the right people have simply not seen this thread?

Dear

You have asked a right question and I appreciate your concerns about your career plans. But if you say that there are 2 companies which are situated in Houston nobody will understand anything. If you could give the names of that firms and ask the specific questions then any one from the forum members could reply or you may find someone on these forums who will help you to understand the firm if he or she works that firm.

Over and above, I think you are now going to get graudate so you could analyse a little based on the website information of these firms. Their speciallizations; major achivements; the custome repo; and so many factors.

#5 TroyH

TroyH

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 02:48 AM

Thanks for the response.

I didn't mention the companies by name, because I wasn't sure if that would have been appropriate. Instead, and perhaps I didn't make myself clear, I was looking for people who work in Houston in that industry, with whom I could discuss this via PM.
Once I had received a PM, I would obviously have divulged the names of the companies to the other forum member.

#6 djack77494

djack77494

Gold Member

• ChE Plus Subscriber
  • 1,282 posts

Posted 20 May 2008 - 08:53 AM

Troy,
Many persons who have worked in this situation have some not-so-pleasant past experiences as a result of the industry's previous boom or bust tendencies. This has resulted in the current situation where there is a great shortage of engineers and technical people worldwide. If you like a fast ride, jump in.
Doug

#7 TroyH

TroyH

Veteran Member

• Members
  • 32 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 05:13 AM

Thanks Doug. I hope my experience entering industry is an enjoyable and educational one. biggrin.gif

#8 lxz

lxz

Brand New Member

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 26 May 2008 - 10:27 AM

i was in a simialar situation, only involving interns. the choice was betw chemical manufacture or petro, which is basically the difference betw upstream and downstream. the info i received was that upstream pays more, probably due to work conditions. however, i chose the chem. manufacturing. i am not sure if this post is relevant. either way i will keep posted how the summer interns progresses.

thanks